Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
joined you folks short time ago. 1st mess. i've tried. this internet stuff is new to me. anyway the pleasure is mine and i hope to get involved in some good bench racing. i've owend 3 1st gen. camaros along many chevy pickups 67-72. most recent camaro is a 1968 rs/ss that i had bought in 1981. i bow my head in shame. i was forced into selling this spring. I WILL BE BACK! (divorce) my 1st ? can anyone out there provide me with auth. GM proof! that sbc heads were ever installed on a 283cui. eng. at the factory! so many id sights claim such, i do not believe it, i have been building at racing sbc's near 30yrs. i need GM factory proof. I must add the heads in question are cast# 461 and 461-x my mistake for not providing that in the first place.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome Roy :beers:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Welcome Rapidroy ,as we get older our or just maybe mine ,memory goes south but of the top of my baldhead ,yes 461 castings came on 283's in 1964,65 ,someone with the books and a better memory will come along and verify for you ,same here been at this G M hobby stuff for 30 yrs ...Good luck and you are at the right place ....Happy Motoring

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
camaro dave thanks for the welcome, 68- that i sold in spring 06 >rs/ss>black>black vinyl top>black int.>tint glass>355cui.flat top trw jr stock racing pistons>total seal gapless rings>hand hone a lost art>291 heads 194/150 no milling. this combo developed a comp. reading of 203lb's avrg. this is a fact. by far the best sbc i have built on a restricted budgit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for the welcome, i could be called "old bald guy" my self. remember "grass don"t grow" on a busy street. far as the 461 heads, i have come to the point ware as i am trying to contact jenkins comp. i think "the grump" would know. chevy's for ever ,roy

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Welcome Roy. Nice to see another New Englander. Where in Ma are you from? I'm in Hudson.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks steve, i'm in carver . bought a 1972 c-20 pickup in your town bout 20yrs. ago. I'm in the middle of moving today,but I would like to tell you about the adventure. roy

·
Registered
1 Posts
ROY, Sorry if this little bit of info is late, but I just signed up a few minutes
ago. I think the 461x head was available on a 283 only on a 61 vette with 283/275& 315HP. I hope this helps, Tommy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts