Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read all of the posts about vinyl dye and it seems like SEM is the "preferred product". I went to the paint store and they have the SEM Color Coat... is this what you guys are talking about ????? Or is it a different SEM product ???

Everyone says vinyl "dye" but it specifically states this is not a dye..... am I using the "right" product ???

The true OER vinyl dye is like $17 a spray can in the catalogs I have !!!!

I'm going to be painting the flexible vinyl trim around the window edges and headliner.

If it is the SEM Color Coat..... Satin Black or Landau Black ??????

·
Registered
538 Posts
I used the SEM color coat on my dash pad, carrier, headliner trim, hinge covers, seat backs and armrest bases. I used the satin black #15243. Turned out very, very nicely.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

·
Registered
538 Posts
I picked mine up out of YearOne. I am sure that most resto parts houses will have it. Depending one what you are going to restore you will need adhesion promoters of some sort. I bought the urethane primer for the dash pad and trim and also bought the polypropylene/ABS/hard plastic adhesion promoter. Just wash the part with soapy water, rinse well, dry and clean it with alcohol before painting.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of your auto paint supply stores carry it. Or you can order it online.

After talking to the techs at SEM, they recommended the Vinyl prep for the vinyl pieces. I guess it acts as an adhesion promotor by softening the vinyl slightly. Then use the Color Coat. For hard plastic, they have a plastic prep too.

Its kind of expensive for all of this stuff, but I only want to do this once without it peeling or flaking in 1-2 years etc, so thats what I'm planning on doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts