Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday, I started working on my newest project Camaro. I was getting ready to put the front fenders back on and decided I would put the power steering changover on first, since it was so accessible. I removed the manual steering sector and while underneath noticed that 2 of the motor mount bolts had fallen out and were laying on the frame. The third one was out a few turns too, so I put a jack under the engine to lift it a little to relieve the weight while I got the 2 missing bolts started and then would tighten them all. As I started lifting the engine I noticed the mount was separating instead of lifting, so I kept jacking and lo and behold the mount was completely torn in 2. Oh well, common problem, so I proceded to remove it entirely. After removing the mount I saw that the frost plug behind it was only half way inserted in the block and was surrounded by silicone.:noway: I could see someone's previous attempt to pound it back in had nicked the edge and it was twisted in the bore. About this time I went in the house for the evening. The next day, I had to run some errands in the morning, so I picked up a new frost plug to just replace the cobbled one in the engine. I couldn't get a very straight shot at it either, so I removed the frame mount to get a better angle. I then started driving it in to tip it sideways and pull it out, but it straightened out and drove into the hole tight and straight. Hmmm, maybe I don't need to replace it, but I will pressure test it when the new radiator gets here on Friday, before I replace the mount. I got started on other tasks and wanted my bottle jack under the engine so I put a block of wood under the harmonic balancer to hold the engine up so I could remove the jack. This morning, I wanted to count the teeth on the flex plate, to see what was actually in the car for a replacement, so I rolled under with my flywheel wrench and couldn't hardly budge the engine over....:mad: What the heck !!! Did someone seize the engine up...is that why it turns over so hard and is destroying the flex plate ?? I pulled all the plugs and squirted oil in the cylinders. Went back under and counted the teeth, while I turned it over to "loosen" it up. I then ran the starter for brief periods to work the oil into the rings and down the cylinders. Nope....still tight. Now I'm hopping mad...I was told it was a good running engine when I bought it...:mad: I turned my attention to the seats to take my mind off the engine issue and disassembled the driver seat to send the cover to another member for a pattern. When I walked over to set the upper cover down next to the car, I noticed a piece of wood sticking out from under the engine.....specifically the HARMONIC BALANCER. Sure enough, I had worn all the paint off the danged thing turning the engine over while it was sitting on the wood....:eek: :sad: Apparently the starter is pretty strong and there really isn't anything wrong with the engine being "tight", just an absent minded knuckehead working on too many things at the same time.:yes:
Now I know I'm not the only one who has done stupid stuff like this and I can see some of you laughing your butts off in rememberence.;)

Now, when the radiator gets here tomorrow, I know there's something I need to do before I put the new engine mount in and the fenders back on. Wait, I need to put the power steering in first...isn't that where this whole fiasco started .....:confused:

Have a good day......:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Geesh Mitch...

Laural & Hardy auto repair :) Your know very well that [email protected] runs down hill so once it starts to go bad..it gets worse. Be wise and check the other freeze plugs..all of them. I would hate to see you button everything up only to find another freeze plug that wasn't put in properly leaking. BTW, the car turns over easier without the plugs in :) and without the jack/wood holding it too :D The rest will go easy now.....

Kev

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
WOW.

haha

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
Mitch if ya take your finger out of the hole in the dike, it will release the pressure on the dam. :) Thats a funny story and we've all been there done that in similar ways. I feel better knowing others have mentally lapsed on occasion. :)

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mitch if ya take your finger out of the hole in the dike, it will release the pressure on the dam. :) Thats a funny story and we've all been there done that in similar ways. I feel better knowing others have mentally lapsed on occasion. :)
Jim, I should've just stayed in the house yesterday....:( The new radiator that was supposed to get here today arrived last evening....:D so I ran right out and put it in only to watch the water run out a hole onto my boot....:mad: It was damaged by loose parts in the carton puncturing a tube. That's how yesterday ended...:noway:

I did call them today and they are sending out another one right away. I requested they make certain there were no loose parts flying around in the box.;)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I did a bonehead move like that last summer. Had too many irons in the fire and forgot to put the drain plug in before putting in fresh oil. 2 qts. of oil on the garage floor makes for a pretty good mess. Makes one feel awfully stupid. Jim

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a bonehead move like that last summer. Had too many irons in the fire and forgot to put the drain plug in before putting in fresh oil. 2 qts. of oil on the garage floor makes for a pretty good mess. Makes one feel awfully stupid. Jim
OH NO....we don't want to talk about oil on the floor....:noway: All I'm gonna say is my semi engine holds 8 gallons and I used to buy it in 5 gallon pails. I had to stand on top of the engine to pour it in and couldn't see the floor underneath......2 quarts....I wish:sad:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
After a cam break in once, I swapped out the oil filter and ran the engine with new oil. Hey, where's all that oil coming from???? Whoops, oil filter gasket stayed on engine block...now I have two on there...that does not mean double sealing power. Lost 4 quarts on the floor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts