Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a guy/business on Facebook selling this serpentine kit. Comes with A/C, Gen II PS, H2O, and Alt. All chrome. $1040. I'm skeptical, but am trying to rebuild on a budget. This would take care of my H2O and PS problem and also let me convert to serpentine with shiny parts. Has video on running engine. What's the catch here? I trust the insight of
this forum. Would go on 383 in 1st Gen. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
955 Posts
There's a guy/business on Facebook selling this serpentine kit. Comes with A/C, Gen II PS, H2O, and Alt. All chrome. $1040. I'm skeptical, but am trying to rebuild on a budget. This would take care of my H2O and PS problem and also let me convert to serpentine with shiny parts. Has video on running engine. What's the catch here? I trust the insight of
this forum. Would go on 383 in 1st Gen. Thanks.
He's not the only one selling serpentine setups in that price range. I haven't finished my "Covid-Year Mods" yet (but I'm close) and I installed one of the other (budget) billet systems in that same price range, I think mine was $1200. I am using a PowerMaster 153 AMP alternator though, I was concerned that the 100 AMP unit included wasn't gonna work long term. I also used some Vintage Air parts on the supplied mini-compressor, fit like a charm. The guys at Vintage Air have really helped me a lot on doing my install. I will say the way this serpentine setup is designed, it does protrude forward a bit more than expected, but I have just enough clearance now to pull my aluminum shroud with dual fans mounted straight up and out without a hassle.

IMG_8360.JPG IMG_7186.JPG IMG_0977.JPG

One of the guys on FB installed this system last year on his 396 BBC and has had absolutely no problems, the supplied compressor and his Vintage Air blows cold, he was OK with the 100 amp alternator. Ignore the hose LOL, I was measuring. Used Earl's Hoses and Hose Ends on the High Pressure, Earl's hoses and Mr Gasket Hose Ends on the low pressure stuff. Hope to have it running before Dec 1st, just some final wiring to do, also fitting some TKO radiator clamps rather than worm stuff.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kind of like your set up better. It looks lighter and less heavy. The package I showed came with Gen II PS, 160 amp and everything chrome. Where did you get yours? What exactly does it come with? Would it work on a 383 with a clutched fan? The "chrome" ends coming out of the AC compressor are from Mr. Gasket? I really like how you have everything routed.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Look at the small amount of belt wrap on the power steering pulley. It may slip under load.

Don

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
955 Posts
Belt wrap on the PS seems to be about the same as this March system. I don't know about auto-cross use lol... but for a street cruiser, the guys I've talked to who run similar setups have no problems. It does look minimal, but I guess it works.-Mike

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
it is done that way to cut costs. To me it demonstrates poor engineering. Belt squeal looking for a place to happen.

March is not what I would consider to be a high performance system. More focus on form than function....

Don

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
it is done that way to cut costs. To me it demonstrates poor engineering. Belt squeal looking for a place to happen.

March is not what I would consider to be a high performance system. More focus on form than function....

Don
Yup. Form vs function. I guess these systems are for bragging rights. Those I deal with are banging out over 800 hp with stock belt setups.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He did say that the parts were the same that March uses. But, this is me thinking March was of some quality. I've had nothing but problems trying to get my PS to work correctly since I had the car. Plus, my H2O pump needs replacing anyway. I've also always wanted to clean/dress up the engine bay to look nice. I was hoping this killed three birds with one stone. That being said, working on cars, we've all thrown good money after bad on something and I'm trying to avoid it. My car will not be an auto-x car anytime in the near future.

·
Registered
130 Posts
He did say that the parts were the same that March uses. But, this is me thinking March was of some quality. I've had nothing but problems trying to get my PS to work correctly since I had the car. Plus, my H2O pump needs replacing anyway. I've also always wanted to clean/dress up the engine bay to look nice. I was hoping this killed three birds with one stone. That being said, working on cars, we've all thrown good money after bad on something and I'm trying to avoid it. My car will not be an auto-x car anytime in the near future.
I bought a March pulley system and had issues with my power steering belt squeaking. I also had a water leak on the passenger side water pump spacer that was finally determined to be a incorrectly machined spacer plate. When I finally drilled down through their tech line personnel I was told that they had identified the problem and changed their design soon after I purchased my system but did feel the need to notify customers that had purchased the system with older design. I built a better idler pulley that solved my power steering issue. So my opinion is not to use March as an industry standard, just my opinion based on my purchase

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,632 Posts
I used a "Wraptor" setup through CVF Racing. It's an 8 rib (Gates) belt system with a type II GM PS pump with integrated reservoir. Required a reverse rotation WP (included), clutch and fan (not included). No belt slippage tho. Mine is for a BBC 396. For a small block, looks like its about $400 more than what your looking at. The quality is really top notch. All the parts I got in the kit were very nice.
Brett...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I may have missed this, but is it an aluminum or steel bracket? At 70 years old, I've found through the years that if you buy cheap, you'll be buying soon again. And it's just me (and many more) that's getting away from chrome, especially under the hood. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may have missed this, but is it an aluminum or steel bracket? At 70 years old, I've found through the years that if you buy cheap, you'll be buying soon again. And it's just me (and many more) that's getting away from chrome, especially under the hood. Good luck with your project.
I agree and that's why I asked for input. Your advice seems to be the obvious one, but I also don't want to shell extra money just for brand recognition. Outside of the valve covers, it would be the only chrome I have under the hood.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was told there is a bunch of modification and the pancake A/C compressor is not worth it for that system.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,648 Posts
Motohead, that type of system you have listed has been know to have the main bracket break on it. search around, I would not use it, there are much better systems for almost the same money.

Motohead, are you stuck on using a mechanical fan?

If so, I would look at using a 88-92 F-body setup (like Allanjs suggested). Cheap, can use a mechanical style fan (has to be reverse type). It comes with a GM 105 amp alternator I believe. I used one on my SBC I used to have in my car. Use the F-body setup with a 91 chevy truck 305 water pump (car pump doesn’t have the heater hose fitting on it). If you are not using AC, you can put a AC delete pulley on it and can install the correct length belt to remove/bypass the smog pump).
Here is a post I did a few years ago LOL

This is the GM performance kit of the same system- Chevrolet Performance 19418818 Chevrolet Performance Serpentine Accessory Drive Kits | Summit Racing

If not here the Holley Mid-Mount is the best deal out there right now for what you get. A buddy of mine has the SBC version and it is a pretty nice setup. An alternator with like 100 amps at idle, cartridge style (C7 water pump). I have the LS version on my current engine. Love it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like the Holley mid-mount. Does the GenII pump rez fit in stock location or do you still need to get a remote rez? I do have A/C and am planning on using a mechanical fan and clutch.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
This is how you design a drive with decent power steering pulley wrap. The belt shouldn’t be kissing the pulley....

28D80C7C-781F-42B5-9F97-330488C42DBB.png

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Motohead, that type of system you have listed has been know to have the main bracket break on it. search around, I would not use it, there are much better systems for almost the same money.

Motohead, are you stuck on using a mechanical fan?

If so, I would look at using a 88-92 F-body setup (like Allanjs suggested). Cheap, can use a mechanical style fan (has to be reverse type). It comes with a GM 105 amp alternator I believe. I used one on my SBC I used to have in my car. Use the F-body setup with a 91 chevy truck 305 water pump (car pump doesn’t have the heater hose fitting on it). If you are not using AC, you can put a AC delete pulley on it and can install the correct length belt to remove/bypass the smog pump).
Here is a post I did a few years ago LOL

This is the GM performance kit of the same system- Chevrolet Performance 19418818 Chevrolet Performance Serpentine Accessory Drive Kits | Summit Racing

If not here the Holley Mid-Mount is the best deal out there right now for what you get. A buddy of mine has the SBC version and it is a pretty nice setup. An alternator with like 100 amps at idle, cartridge style (C7 water pump). I have the LS version on my current engine. Love it!

Nice pulley wrap on the Chevy Performance drive.

Don

1 - 20 of 24 Posts