Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Z-28 that had stock exhaust manifolds y pipe to the cat and no other exhaust on it. I got a killer deal from JBA for shorty headers and y pipe so i bought it along with a magnaflow catback. Never had a problem or a SES light with the car until I had the headers and magnaflow installed. After its fully warmed up the car will buck at low RPM and the idle goes bad, SES light comes on but the car seems to run ok. Light goes out it will buck and come on again. It doesnt do it at WOT. I thought it sounded like the EGR but i tested it and the egr valve seems fine, maybe needs to be cleaned. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what this might be, mechanic told me the comp needs to adjust to the new stuff and to give it 50-100 miles to allow it too. JBA told me the same thing. So basically im lost and could use some direction. Thanks all :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
you really need to get the code scanned at advance auto/auto zone and give us the code, you should know the problem quick

there are many things that can cause a problem like that.. a misfire, IAC, TPS, MAF, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i own a reader and it wont link. thinking mine was the problem i took it to schucks and they tried to read it and got the same thing. wont even read codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that whoever owned the car before me put in a performance chip. thats the only thing i could think of that its not able to make the link. or maybe the obd port is broke in some way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the light was on every time i tried to read codes. no the car was not running, yes it was in the on position. the reader worked just fine the last time i threw an overboost code in my Evo.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
95 camaro isn't OBD-2 compliant, most modern readers won't read the old OBD1 or 1.5 codes that it is using. You may need to go old school and get out the paper clip and short the comm port on the OBD connector to make the SES light flash the code.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine has the 16 pin DLC, does that make a difference. the thing i found said to jump 5&6, my SES light went out and i heard a fan come on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i got it all fixed, the connector for the MAF sensor was all messed up so i removed it and wired in a new one. no problems now. thanks for the input all, would have been faster if i was able to pull codes but thats ok. just glad it was a 5 min fix and done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts