Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I devised a way to set a gen one non-vortec SBC intake dead nuts perfect w/o sliding it around and screwing up the gaskets or the end sealant. Maybe someone else does it this way but I've never heard it before.

I recently switched from a Vortec style intake to the old style. I was spoiled by the vortec, because since the bolts are vertical vs angled toward each other, I'd just put a carb stud at each corner and set the intake on over the studs and everything was lined up perfectly.

I read on here recently the trick of using a 1 1/4" wood dowel down the distributor hole and guiding the intake over the dowel, so I tried a dry run on that - it gets you in the ballpark, but no better. It allows for being off to one side or the other, plus the hole in the intake is bigger than the hole in the block so you can be off front to back as well.

What I came up with is (are) 3/8-16 x 1/2" setscews, the kind that look like a stud but have an allen wrench (hex key) recess in one end. I threaded one at the front and one at the rear bolt holes on the left side only. Since the bolt holes angle toward each other you can only do one side or the other, but that's all you need. Left approx 3/16"-1/4" of the setscrew sticking out above the gasket surface. I stuck the intake gaskets to both heads using RTV around the water ports only, lined up exactly as I wanted them. Then threaded in the two setscrews on one side only. Did a dry run with no end sealant on yet - held the right side of the intake up about an inch above the head and maneuvered the left side so the bolt holes catch on the setscrews, then just set the right side down. Presto - all 12 bolt holes lined up perfectly.

Removed intake, put my favorite sealant on the china walls, and repeated. Threaded the 10 bolts into the holes w/o the setscrews, then removed the setscrews with an allen wrench and installed the remaining two bolts. Worked perfectly, thought I'd share.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Sounds like a great idea Al, nice and straightforward! Going to try that myself when reassembling the engine :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
So that's what I've been doing wrong for the last half century.:beers:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Learn something new every day. :yes: Thanks !

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Sounds like a great idea Al, nice and straightforward! Going to try that myself when reassembling the engine :thumbsup:
Couldn't have said it better!! Intake is next in my build...Will be using this tip for sure. Thank you sir!!!...:beers:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Great tip! It's funny how an intake will line up perfectly when you mock it up and then, once the RTV is on, it'll give you fits. : )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts