Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to set up a hydraulic roller cam. I am trying to determine the correct push rod length but don't know how to deal with the hydraulic lifter collapsing. I am using light springs but they still collapse the lifter a little. How do you set up a hydraulic roller cam? How do you deal with the lifter collapsing and changing the lift and the length of push rod needed?

I could really use some help with this. I have heard that you need to put the lifter in oil and pump it. Did that but it didn't help.

Matt

·
Registered
614 Posts
Are you using the 'magic marker on the valve stem' method? I helped a guy do this once by using no springs and just holding the retainer up against the rocker while the other guy rolled the motor over with a breaker bar. Maybe you just need a lighter checking spring?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark,

I am using the magic market method. I am not getting much of a witness of where the roller tip is riding. I though of using a lighter spring but that would leave even less a mark. Also, I would think that the lifter does need to collapse a little in order to work. I just don't know how much.

Matt

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Lifter should be collapsed 0.020'-0.050" for proper pre-load under operating conditions.

Use a lighter spring and use SOFT DYKEM (Hi-Spot) on the roller part of the rocker should leave a mark on the valve.

Add 0.025" when you get your measurement

·
Registered
589 Posts
do you have a soild lifter you can borrow? That's really what you need here.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
lifter may bleed off by turning over motor --try lipstick on stem -makes it easier
I like lipstick on my stems! you should be able to soak the lifter in oil and manually pump it up so its not an issue :yes:

·
Registered
926 Posts
You need to use a solid lifter to do this. I have one that you can borrow if you promise to return it(wasn't real cheap). You can use a sharpie, or machinists dye on the valve stem tip. PM me. Mine is for the retrofit type lifters, not stock like later model factory equipped roller cam engines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts