Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Very newbe question but I am just not sure what an original 327 is supposed to sound like. Its recammed and has solid lifters, solid lifter cam.

I have not done the lash since I have had it. Measures .0025 (?) with my feeler gauge.

Is this thing supposed to sound like a sewing machine when you are not "on it"? Is this normal?

·
Registered
226 Posts
yep sewing machine is about right,,, some people get used to it.. others put on Cast alluminum "thick" valve covers,, if you beat on it regularly you should probably check your lash once a month:yes:

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Two and a half thousandths, 0.0025", is a small lash setting for a mechanical camshaft, usually around 0.020", dependent upon cam manufacturer.

If you have the cam card, so much the better, read it from the card. If not, but know the manf, check their website with the cam part number.

And yes, lash set correctly, sounds like noisy sewing machine. Turn up the radio.....or not. i myself, would rather roll the window down and listen.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Think 40 series 2 chambers!!!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Measures .0025 (?) with my feeler gauge.
I'm sure you put an extra zero in there by mistake, but what I am wondering is was this a measurement when cold?
If so, you might have near 0.030" when at temp. It would be noisy for sure.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Two and a half thousandths, 0.0025", is a small lash setting for a mechanical camshaft, usually around 0.020", dependent upon cam manufacturer.

If you have the cam card, so much the better, read it from the card. If not, but know the manf, check their website with the cam part number.

And yes, lash set correctly, sounds like noisy sewing machine. Turn up the radio.....or not. i myself, would rather roll the window down and listen.
Patrick

Everett is giving you some good advise. The recommended lash setting can vary quite a bit depending on what cam/manufacturer you have. Find out what you've got and set it accordingly.

But yeah, even when set correctly it'll sound like a big sewing machine. :thumbsup:

Mark

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Extra 0. .025 at temperature. Normal for a solid lifter?

I tried the cam issue here before but I have no idea what cam is in it. One day I will be brave enough to pull the fenders off and tear it down that far. But for today, just doing what I can.

I am pretty sure with the liquid on the plugs and threads I have some valve seal issues too.

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
If you are planning on pulling the camshaft, you don't need to pull the front sheet metal.
Pull out the radiator and roll the A/C condensor out of the way, you'll have a 1/2"-1" inch of clearance behind the grille.

You can set up a 0"-1" inch dial indicator on the pushrod and a degree wheel on the h/bal and take both intake/exhaust opening/closing degrees at 0.050" of lift from the base circle along with LSA, lobe speparation angle at max lift, plus max lift, read cam lift and multiply by 1.5 to get gross lift, and see if intake is advanced, sometimes is, common aftermarket feature, and match up the readings with most any aftermarket cam manufacturer to see what you have inside.

Alot of info, I know. But, if you can find anything from the previous owner would be a great help for you to solve your mystery.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
I'm with Everett on this. My Dad had a 327 vette with the sound of the 30-30 solid cam, tach drive, muncie and exhaust, that thing was a symphony!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would love to chat with prior Owner but he died two years ago and the car had been sitting in his daughters garage. She was trying to locate an old friend of his to no avail. I was hoping he was formerally of this forum and someone recognized his car. He must have been a racer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts