Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 68 running this weekend after 30 years of storage. She is my first car. I bought her with money I saved from my paper route in 1989 when I was 15. My late father had to test drive her for because I didn’t have my license. My mom picked me up from drivers Ed on completion and she was the first car I drove when I got my license. We go way back.

she stopped running a month after my father passed and I just parked her. Then life got real and I never did anything and then one day years had gone by.

I decide it was time to get her running. I knew very little about working on cars and luckily I found this site! I want to thank everyone on this site for the help and advice. I have been reading posts and asking questions for many years and just working in little spurts over the last 5 years.

I didn’t do any body work except patch a floor pan. Full body and paint is outside my budget and I want to keep her as a driver. The blemishes all bring back memories anyway. The car was last painted and bondo’d at Maaco back in’89. She’s a little rough but I think we will have some good times together again.

Here is a list of what I upgraded.

rebuilt 350 into 355. New crank rods and pistons.
liberty heads
Howard’s rattler camshaft
Edelbrock air gap
Holley 750
Pertronix
Summit headers
Rebuilt front suspension
Eaton 2”drop springs front
Hotchkis 1.5 drop leafs rear
GM 8.5 rear (72 nova) with 3.73 Yukon posi
Tremec TKX600
New driveshaft
New fuel tank, sender, fuel line
Right stuff front disc conversion and all new lines, rebuilt rear drums
New carpet
New 3 gauge pod
Classic instrument tach
Scat pro90 seats
(Original headliner and rear seats kept)
Torque thrust D’s
BFG 225/60/15 front. 255/60/15 rear
Pypes race pro muffler kit

it was a ton of work and I was reading posts on this site every step of the way. Thanks again to everybody that helped me fulfill this life long dream of mine.

it rained all weekend so my first drive will be tonight with my wife to the shop to get the alignment touched up.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Window
Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Car

Here are some photos!
Rob

·
Registered
127 Posts
I finally got my 68 running this weekend after 30 years of storage. She is my first car. I bought her with money I saved from my paper route in 1989 when I was 15. My late father had to test drive her for because I didn’t have my license. My mom picked me up from drivers Ed on completion and she was the first car I drove when I got my license. We go way back.

she stopped running a month after my father passed and I just parked her. Then life got real and I never did anything and then one day years had gone by.

I decide it was time to get her running. I knew very little about working on cars and luckily I found this site! I want to thank everyone on this site for the help and advice. I have been reading posts and asking questions for many years and just working in little spurts over the last 5 years.

I didn’t do any body work except patch a floor pan. Full body and paint is outside my budget and I want to keep her as a driver. The blemishes all bring back memories anyway. The car was last painted and bondo’d at Maaco back in’89. She’s a little rough but I think we will have some good times together again.

Here is a list of what I upgraded.

rebuilt 350 into 355. New crank rods and pistons.
liberty heads
Howard’s rattler camshaft
Edelbrock air gap
Holley 750
Pertronix
Summit headers
Rebuilt front suspension
Eaton 2”drop springs front
Hotchkis 1.5 drop leafs rear
GM 8.5 rear (72 nova) with 3.73 Yukon posi
Tremec TKX600
New driveshaft
New fuel tank, sender, fuel line
Right stuff front disc conversion and all new lines, rebuilt rear drums
New carpet
New 3 gauge pod
Classic instrument tach
Scat pro90 seats
(Original headliner and rear seats kept)
Torque thrust D’s
BFG 225/60/15 front. 255/60/15 rear
Pypes race pro muffler kit

it was a ton of work and I was reading posts on this site every step of the way. Thanks again to everybody that helped me fulfill this life long dream of mine.

it rained all weekend so my first drive will be tonight with my wife to the shop to get the alignment touched up.
View attachment 281992 View attachment 281993 View attachment 281994
Here are some photos!
Rob
nice job man! cant wait until mine is running again.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Congratulations!!! Yeah... the weather here has been crap this past weekend, with no relief in sight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
406 Posts
Very cool. Congrats! My car was down from 2000 until 2009 to do a frame off restoration. I can’t imagine being not being able to drive it as long as you have! Nice job and have fun! Has to be a blast driving it again!

·
20,635 Posts
Good looking ride...chips, scratches, and all.

Reactions: ram74

·
Premium Member
67 RS/SS w pop 68 RS/SS Vert 69 SS Vert w/pop all born with drivetrains
237 Posts
Great story Rob, the car look great just the way it sits. Drive it proudly.

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro SS 350
543 Posts
Nice looking ride!! That is a long time. Mine was down from 08 to this past spring. Finally able to enjoy it. I thought that was a long time. So how did the cruise go?!?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looks like it would be a fun ride, congratulations on getting it back on the road after so long!

Quick side note: get rid of that plastic fuel filter. They've been known to split/crack and where it's positioned will mean your hot engine is covered in hot fuel... not good....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts