Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
In the process of installing a console and gauges in my '68. Originally a collum shift so I am using both wiring harnesses. My question is should the shift indicator lights (2) and console gauge lights (4) be on all the time??? They go on as soon as I turn the key on. Is this correct or did I miss wire something somehow?

Thanks!
Dan
'68 Convertible

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just came out of the garage. Had to pack it in before I got (more) fustrated. I disconnected every possible power source from the wiring harness - back up light connector, neutral saftey switch connector, head light switch connector, both connections from the fuse box and the horn relay connection and the lights are still on!!! The only power connection left is the one that goes to the battery junction block. This is bizzarre. Calling Factory Fit tommorrow....

Dan
'68 Convvertible

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All:
Just got off the phone with Factory Fit. They are stumped. The lights should only light up when the gray wire is plugged into the fuse box. I pulled it and they still light!!! Someone has to have some experience with installing a set of Repo gauges that might be able to help me out. The weird thing is, the lights only light when I touch one of the gauge lights to the gauge plate. Also, I keep trying to tell the tech guy that the connector will not fit into the spot marked "LMPS" on the fuse box, it will only fit in the spot marked "ACC" because of the tab on the connector but he keeps insisting that it will fit. Well it doesn't!! He said that I might have a ground problem as it appears that power is going through the gauge plate. I have one ground in the gauges, one ground on the floor of the vehicle and one ground attached to the gauge plate. That seems to be the way it is supposed to be. Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on here,,,

At my wits end...

Dan
'68 Convertible

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
Dan you sure have alot of issues there with elec.
With the lights 'on' have you tried pulling fuses one at a time to try to isolate the source of your power? That might get you going to begin back tracking after that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts