1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
What color should my Hurst shifter knob be in a deluxe black interior and no console? I was prepared to buy a black knob and Rick's First Gen advised a chrome ball. But without a console, I won't have the shift pattern displayed anywhere. Should it be chrome or black to be factory correct? http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-loc...ion.htm?L+scstore+gvqx9998ff785478+1173268118
W/O console, I belive that the ball should be white, with the shift pattern. I also believe that only cars with consoles receiced the chrome ball.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KevinW-

You confirmed what I thought was correct and I shouldn't have let the Rick's guy change my mind. I did just call and changed the order from the chrome ball back to the 2-piece black ball.
Thank you for your quick and accurate response.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't made the move to O/drive yet. I'm still finishing up some details on the car and may move in that direction a little later. The kit I want, a T56 6-speed, sells for more than $4K. But that would tame the 4.56 rear gears and let me keep my low end performance. The best of both worlds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
While this thread is active, let me ask about my dilemma
I have a factory 3 speed floor shifter with no console. Has anyone seen a knob for this? I currently have a solid black knob.

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Yes, there is a 3 speed ball...two piece, just like the 4 speed. Be aware that Muncie shifters and Hurst shifters have different thread sizes. I forget which is which.
I saw an NOS 3 speed knob go for almost nothing on ebay about 2-3 months ago. I started to bid, just for fun, but did not. I think 3 speed floor shift is cool. When I was in college, I had a 68 LeMans Sprint with a 3 speed hurst. I wished it was a 4 speed, back then, but now, factory 3 speed has a high cool factor in my mind. I talked to a guy who was selling a 69 pacer that came with a 3 speed. He put a muncie 4 speed in it, but saved the original. If I had bought it, I would have converted it back!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah Guys,
I also have a 3 on the tree and my shifter has a Camaro emblem on top of the ball. From what I read everywhere, it looks like it could be an after market Shifter ball. It's very worn out and would like to replace it with the same Shifter Ball with the camaro emblem. Any chance anyone knows where I could get one?

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Yes, there is a 3 speed ball...two piece, just like the 4 speed. Be aware that Muncie shifters and Hurst shifters have different thread sizes. I forget which is which.
I saw an NOS 3 speed knob go for almost nothing on ebay about 2-3 months ago. I started to bid, just for fun, but did not. I think 3 speed floor shift is cool. When I was in college, I had a 68 LeMans Sprint with a 3 speed hurst. I wished it was a 4 speed, back then, but now, factory 3 speed has a high cool factor in my mind. I talked to a guy who was selling a 69 pacer that came with a 3 speed. He put a muncie 4 speed in it, but saved the original. If I had bought it, I would have converted it back!!
Yes, there have been a couple of NOS, black, two-piece, three-speed shifter knobs on Ebay in the last few weeks. Last one went for about $45. Keep watching, the same guy was selling them one set at a time. With a little luck, once folks get hip to what's going on the prices will come down - just like they did with the windshield washer bottle caps and the NOS radiator mounting bolts. When bidders assume it's the last NOS piece on earth the prices are way up there. Then when the next one and the next one after that show up, things start to settle down some. Unless it's an NOS battery tray or package tray. Those stay pricey forever.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the black shift knob today and put it on. It looks and feels good.
With this order I believe I now have all the parts needed to finish the car. One more good weekend or so of detail work and I am finished, at least for now. Now if I can just get that O/drive transmission.....get that tachometer working all the time (I am working on that too).... polish out the car one more time.... maybe it will never end.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
It looks like you had an epiphany in the middle of the thread. :) In the beginning you said you thought you had "all the parts to finish the car," and then at the end, you say, "maybe it will never end."

I don't think I will ever be finished. I'm now collecting pristine original or NOS locks, to replace the repop ones I installed when I was "finishing" my car. I recently decided having the correct little notch on the keyhole was "necessary"!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't think I will ever be finished. I'm now collecting pristine original or NOS locks, to replace the repop ones I installed when I was "finishing" my car. I recently decided having the correct little notch on the keyhole was "necessary"![/QUOTE]
Funny ever heard of "if the name fits" "UNREAL" Wait maybe that was if the shoe Fits LoL

·
Registered
613 Posts
I may have some of that 68-69 factory 3 speed stuff still kicking around collecting dust! :yes:

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think I still have some 68 69 3 speed stuff collecting dust in my garage!:yes:

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the beginning you said you thought you had "all the parts to finish the car," and then at the end, you say, "maybe it will never end."QUOTE]

That was kind of the point. Even though you think you are getting near the "finish" there is always something else you need to or want to do. This year, after 2.5 years of working on the car, I can take the it to the local shows and also have some fun driving it.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
What color should my Hurst shifter knob be in a deluxe black interior and no console? I was prepared to buy a black knob and Rick's First Gen advised a chrome ball. But without a console, I won't have the shift pattern displayed anywhere. Should it be chrome or black to be factory correct? http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-loc...ion.htm?L+scstore+gvqx9998ff785478+1173268118
There's an NOS three-speed shift knob on EBay right now. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=280091401812

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.