Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my 1969 console shift steering column. I have it disassembled, and have a question regarding the shift tube. JIML82 posted this image of the shift tube with the comment about the injected plastic. My shift tube doesn't have anything (just remnants of what was once there). I know this is a safety measure and allows the tube to collapse in a collision. Does anyone know if there is a way to "refill" the cavity, or if it is necessary or if anyone sells a replacement shift tube for this? This is the item #56 (#58?) on Jim's Steering Papers in the Corvettefaq blog. Jim Shea?s Steering Papers » Blog Archive » Std Strg Column 69-76 Blowup Pic

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
I have used aluminum pop rivets before. They shear quite easily. No doubt you could find some type of plastic pins you could put in the holes, then melt them over. Once the shaft is in place, there is nothing really needed there anyway, since the shaft can't go anywhere once it's assembled.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and the good info John - I ended up getting the two parts of the shift tube lined up and filled the holes by melting Ptex (used to repair the base on skis) into them. It worked perfectly! The column is all painted and reassembled now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts