Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car did not come factory equiped with a console and floor shifter. I have a console and original shifter for it (68 Camaro). My question is this, how do I determine the proper mounting position for both of them? Do I sit in the seat and mount it "where it feels right" or does someone have some measurements to go by?

------------------
There is nothing like doing it yourself. www.creeksideclassics.com

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,642 Posts
There are dimples in the trans tunnel that will help you out. The console has 2 in the front(under ashtray) and one just behind the front seats (on tunnel). What I did was mount the console in and then put the shifter in. The console has alignment "pins" (part of console) that will help you out. Try and get a copy of a factory assembly manual and it will give you the exact measurements.

130fe

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 68 that came without a console. I have removed the carpet...and found the original holes for mounting a console already there.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I do not have carpet in my car and there are no holes. I am looking at my manual now, didn't have it at work when I started this post. The book shows dimples for the holes.

------------------

·
Registered
361 Posts
My car came with a console, but I converted it from an automatic to 4 speed. Final position of the console was determined by the clearence of the shifter through it's range to the console. If it's an automatic you will have a little more tolerance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is and automatic. I do have some mods to make to the shifter. It is out of a 70 Camaro and the base is longer than the 1st Gen's. Other than that, it seems the same.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts