Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TKO 600 in my 67 without a console but the tunnel hole was messed up. I am wondering what shift boot everyone is using with this tranny. Also if I go with a stock one how does the retainging ring fasten to the floor?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm using a hurst boot with the trim ring right now, screwed through the floor. I am putting a new carpet soon and the screws are not going back in. What I'm going to do is get rid of the ring and use velcro to attatch the boot to the carpet.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm using a hurst boot with the trim ring right now, screwed through the floor. I am putting a new carpet soon and the screws are not going back in. What I'm going to do is get rid of the ring and use velcro to attatch the boot to the carpet.
How are you gonna keep fumes out of the car...just a question,not being a smart *** or anything,I've got the tko,no console thing with a boot i'm gonna have to go through down the road so I'm looking at my options too.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The shift tower on my tko sticks up thru the floor a BUNCH. I use a hurst super boot, screwed through the floor, to cover it.
A stock 68 console with the original slider works just fine on top of the super boot.

·
Registered
559 Posts
How are you gonna keep fumes out of the car...just a question,not being a smart *** or anything,I've got the tko,no console thing with a boot i'm gonna have to go through down the road so I'm looking at my options too.
Fumes shouldn't be a factor. I have a hole cutout just enough for the shifter to fit, then the boot to cover everything up. Did the factory do something different? Is there a better setup?
Besides these are my kind of fumes!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought going with an original 4 spd boot would be pretty sharp rather than the Hurst. Having a Hurst boot without a a hurst shifter isnt quite right to me I guess.;) I guess screwing the retaining ring thru the floor isnt what I was hoping to do but really it should be alright with the right length screws.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I also took the Hurst stick that I had used with my muncie, drilled out and tapped the holes in the tko stub for 3/8 fine american bolts (note that I dunct tape the heck out of the opening in the trans so the shavings wouldn't go inside!), and bolted on the Hurst stick and a new Hurst 5 speed white ball. It looks pretty normal that way, and the Hurst stick has a nice backward bend that puts the ball right at hand.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I thought going with an original 4 spd boot would be pretty sharp rather than the Hurst. Having a Hurst boot without a a hurst shifter isnt quite right to me I guess.;) I guess screwing the retaining ring thru the floor isnt what I was hoping to do but really it should be alright with the right length screws.
JimM kind of said the same thing i was thinking...if you screw it to the floor...you could kind if "cool" it up with some small chrome allen head screws or bolts to make it look a little more racy i guess for lack of a better term

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my TKO From keisler Should be a Weather seal (Boot) on top of the Tranny the other boot screwed to the carpet will keep the fumes out mine came with a Hurst shift lever drilled out so the bolts would work with the TKO.
I have a console ,but I used a Mr Gasket boot and screwed it to the tunnle.
all of them I've ever seen used screws to fasten it to the "hump" just be careful with the back 2 screws if they are to long they might hit the cover plate behind the shifter tower
Good luck David
Love my TKO 600

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I bought the Hurst B4 shifter boot. It measures 6.5 by 5.5 inches. I noticed the Super Boot has that snazzy chrome piece on the top. Not sure if the Super Boot is too big though. That measures 8.75 by 7.75 inches. Maybe someone has pics of the Super Boot installed. It might be too big looking and out of place. Opinions welcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts