Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the place for this one:

I have a 68. The trans is a Muncie four speed from a 67. When I got it, it already had a shifter mounted on the thing. When I had my trans installed the mechanic said he had to heat and bend the handle to make it fit through the hump. It would have been better had he called me before heating things up. Anyway, it doesn't work or look right.
I thought it might be the handle so I bought a hurst 4106 handle. Gary L. (board member) came by and we looked at the thing. It's not going to work with that shifter. It'll mount to the shifter but it doesn't go far enough over to fit centered in the trans hump hole.

Gary L. thought it might be because there is supposed to be an offset on the shifter. I hope my post made sense because I need some help.

Does anyone have a picture/number/other that can help me on this one?

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Either the shifter body needs an offset or the handle needs an offset. Not sure what a Muncie shifter looks like.

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
OK. Tony's shifter body is wrong. It has no offset at all. He does have the 4106 handle. Does the Muncie shifter look like the Hurst with an offset? I have heard that you can bolt the Muincie handle on a Hurst body.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't have access to the link. I'll take Gary's word for it. Any ideas where to get the right shifter?

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
The Hurst is a great shifter but you need the correct parts to make it work right.
Many 67-69 Camaros end up with mismatched parts. The 67-69 Camaro Hurst has the same offset shifter body but the install kit and stick are different for 67-8 vs 69.
The 67-8 Camaro Hurst install kit has the large mount plate with the u bolt around the trans tail bearing.
The 67 68 trans arms are the small slots and the rev arm has a hole for the rev light switch rod.
63-68 Muncie trans use small slots and 69-74 Muncie trans arms have large slots.
Many people have a 69-74 Muncie trans in a 67-68 Camaro so they have to mismatch parts to get the trans arms to work.

Sounds like you may have the wrong shifter or mount plate or both

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Actually the shifter is mounted fine. The shop that installed everything had to bend the shifter arm to get it into the hole in the floor. Tony did not know what he had when he bought the car. He just needs a new shifter body. The rods and levers are fine.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I can reuse the rods and levers I have now and just mount them to a new shifter body?

Is there a certain casting number I'm looking for on the body of the shifter. The one that's mounted now only shows a patent number on the outside that I could see. Maybe it's in a different spot.

Next question: Anyone selling a 68 shifter body?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts