Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need some help. Does the shifter plate for a 69' camaro need to be mounted directly on top of the tranny tunnel sheet metal, or can it be mounted on top of the sound deadner I plan on using. Will I have any issues on puting down "deadner" and then installing the shifter plate.

thanks,

grey899

ps- I'm considering using a spray-in bedliner type material in the floor pans and trunk area for sound deading and future rust prevention. HAs anyone tried this, and if so what's your experience been with it.

I know I just saw a similar

·
Registered
874 Posts
You can mount the shifter boot plate on top of the carpet, the screws will be long enough. I have used a spray can type of rubberized undercoating on the interior floor pans. It worked pretty well, it just took a while to dry completely.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I don't think the spray in stuff would work as near as good as the stick on stuff tlike Dynamat. The spray on stuff won't have as much mass. I would put stick on stuff inside, and then spray the underside with the bedliner.

·
Registered
68 SS Convertible, 383 EFI w/TPIS Mini Ram II, TKO 600, Aluminum flywheel, 3.31 12 bolt posi
274 Posts
Grey899 - the bedliner stuff is a good idea. It became available in the spray on cans for home use when I was in the middle of totally rebuilding my car. (04/96-04/98) I had already undercoated my car when it came out, so I didn't get to use it under the car except in the rear wheelwells. I really wish it had came out in time for me to do the entire underbody, it has worked great under the wheelwells.

I also coated the entire interior floor and trunk. It has held up perfectly. But I don't think it is a great sound deadener on its own. I still used sound deadening material over it inside the car. Dynamat or someone makes a spray on sound deadener, it's not cheap but should work well. I'd look into using that in the interior.

But I would definitely go with the bedliner under the car and in the trunk. Looks much better than undercoating and easy to clean.

One last note, I used POR15 on the complete interior and underbody before doing anything else. This stuff works great at preventing rust.

Good luck,

------------------
Ray

68 SS Convertible
Yellow - (77 Corvette)
383 w/DFI Fuel Injection
on MiniRamII intake,
Trick Flow heads
Tremec 5 sp, 3.31 12bolt Posi
Guildstrand Mod
AGR 12:1 power steering
Bent short steering arms
Baer 13" front brakes (Couldn't find time to make bracket for CBB)
550# Hypercoils with Landrum height adjusters

http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/

[This message has been edited by 68SSConvt (edited 06-07-2002).]

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The spray-on Dynamat is not as good as the stick-on kind either. I used the spray-on Dynamat on top on my package tray and the tray still vibrated at engine idle. I added some regular Dynamat to the underside of the tray and the vibration was cured -or at least the sound from the vibration went away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys for all the help. I've decided
to go with the Dynomat on the floor boards (I'll put a coat of POR-15 first).

I'll do the spray-in bedliner stuff in the trunk and inner fender wells.

thanks again,

grey899

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.