Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Camaro with factory springs and AC Delco shocks. I did upgrade the rear from mono-leaf to the 3-leaf conversion.

I am looking to upgrade the shocks to something that will control better and perform better. Online, what I have read is from folks who have swapped springs and lowered their vehicles. I am looking to simply upgrade the shocks and keep the rest factory.

I have heard that Bilstein is a good option, but they have several product models to choose from.

Anyone gone through this that can provide their experiences?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like Viking Performance double adjustable shocks. I put them on my 55 chevy and was impressed with the adjustability and ride. When I get around to replacing the shocks on my 69 camaro I will be installing them again. Most adjustable shocks are pricey but I would not hesitate putting the Vikings on my car again. The web site seems to be under construction but you can get to their catalog with a couple of clicks. I had a shock bar installed in the 55 so I measured the distance between the lower shock mount and the shock bar. I emailed Viking to confirm the right part number and ordered direct from them. They were fast with the replies and answered all my questions. Great customer service.

Here's an ebay listing for Viking shocks.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...osacat=0&_odkw=viking+performance+1969+camaro

Rick

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
You could improve torque control by bolting on full length slapper bars that will have a staggered shock mount on the spring plate. You can make your own if you can weld (worth learning how to do it properly at your local high school at night) that are better than the generic balogna slicers that are sold from China under a dozen different brand names.

These are not the ones I used to use which are still used by Lakewood on their competition traction bars, but these can be made to work.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sear...ova*GA_Nav_Part:Leaf Spring Mounting Brackets

Or just buy the Lakewood bar that no longer offers braking torque control, only engine torque control for acceleration.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lakewood-21606-Traction-Bars-GM-X-F-Body-Street-and-Strip,287660.html

The design I used was invented by Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins and looked like this:

with the purchase of this J-bolt kit that Lakewood (Competition Engineering now) used to sell.

Big Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have stock control arms and leafs. I installed the Qa1 single adjustable front and rear. Decent price and love being able to adjust for cruising, more people in the car, or aggressive driving. You do have to open up the hole in the lower control arm to get the shocks in.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,084 Posts
Does your '67 still have the original torque arm? A lot of people go with the "soft springs = stiff shocks" or "stiff springs = soft shocks" rule of thumb. Bilstein makes great shocks, so does Koni. I don't know if Strange makes a Camaro compatible shock, but I loved the Strange adjustables I had in my SVT Lightning.

·
20,106 Posts
Another vote for adjustable shocks...cheaper in the long run Vs keep replacing until you are too tired or do get a happy set.

I have Rancho 5-ways on the rear (ones that CalTracs recommended) and I love one setting for the strip, and one for the street.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I’ve got a set of those J bolt traction bars in my scrap pile if anyone wants them. Pretty sure all the parts are there.

Don

·
10,160 Posts
Newer cars use stiffer spring rates (more support) along with more rebound valving in the shocks to control the spring in rebound- extension. A rebound adjustable shock is going to give you more options to tune the ride. I like the Ride Tech shocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts