Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting the rearend back in, trying to mount the lower shock plates, but ubolts not lining up. I had to stretch the bolts out some to get through the axle but now the ends if the ubolt to spread out to go through openings of shock plate. Should I drill out the holes on the shock plate?
Or maybe some how design a tool to bring the ends of the bolt in, maybe heat and bend

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Sounds like you have the wrong sized u-bolts!

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
Sounds like if the U-bolts are not the wrong ones then you spread them out too much or maybe have the shock plates turned 90 degs off. Did the U-bolts fit through the spring perch holes? Also where did your U-bolts come from? Hotchkis spring kits come with larger dia U-bolts and require drilling the perch and plates both.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
It sounds like you don't appear to have the correct diameter U-Bolts, I believe they should be 3" diameter.....I thought that the holes in the shock plates are already elongated so the U-bolts will fit through these!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered new plates from rick's first gen, the holes are not elongated. I was thinking of doing that myself, just dont want compromise stability. If that is an issue.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
U-bolt stock size is 7/16"-20 and about 5"-6" long. If you have 1/2" u-bolts the plates/perch will have to be drilled. Like Dennis said maybe your plate is turned 90* off.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If me, I'd first attempt to get what you have to work (since it came out of there and worked before) before I start making holes larger and potentially creating more play than is necessary & permanently mucking up original pieces. I visualize that you had to spread them out a little to slide over the axle tube so then makes sense you need to persuade back in a little. I like your idea of a tool to compress the ends closer together. If you're only talking a small amount that seems like the way to go in my opinion vs. goin in with a drill. Just my thoughts on how I'm visualzing your predicament.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts