Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling out my stock ten bolt and mono leaf set up this weekend and replacing it with a Moser 12 bolt and Hotchkis multi leaf springs. After reading some posts, it looks like I need to also replace my shock plates.

My question is where can I order a quality set of multi leaf shock plates (if thats what I need) and is the top end (trunk side) any different.

Also I was looking at the Koni rear shocks. Are there different shocks for the multi leaf shock plates or are they the same.??

·
Registered
663 Posts
Detroit Speed shock plates are the way to go -- there are several "repro" plates that don't have the bends quite right and cause issues.
You'll need two 040302L for a '69 (or a '68):
http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/rearsuspensionprod/lower_shock_plates_prod_test.htm

Trunk side will be the same for "mono" or "multi" shocks

Lower end of the rear shocks mount different for "mono" and "multi" shocks. The mono-leaf shocks mount with a bolt through the plate and the shock. The multi-leaf shocks have a stud built into the shock that then attaches to the plate with a nut. I'm not sure about the Koni's, but some shocks are "universal" and include the hardware to bolt onto either plate. AFAIK, the overall length, etc. of all of the shocks are the same.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Try Matt's for Detroit Speed Products.Lots closer / save $$ on shipping.
I have DSE rear leafs and plates w/Koni shocks..all worked with no issues.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put my order in..only difference was he told me I need the the 040302R and not L. He said the L was for mini tubbed..???

35 a piece + 17 shipping

Thanks T

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just talked with them,, they dont have any in stock and would have to order them also ..about a week to get.

I have been to Matts when it was in Concord,,,your right ,,great people and service...also bought stuff from them over at the Goodguys shows..Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I may be wrong but if you are not putting in mini-tubs you should be able to use your stock shock plates. The issue on my 68 when I went from mono to multi leafs was having a multi-leaf spring perch on the axle which your Moser should have. I also had to drill out the plates to fit the larger u-bolt on the Hotchkis. That was it. I have read many times on here the koni's are too stiff so would check that out. I have the Hotchkis shocks and they are great - they are made by blistein (sp?).

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Oh, check out global west if you are looking for vendors here in CA. They are nice folks with a good product.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Whoops -- cut/paste error -- 040302R is the right part for stock staggered shocks.

As far as Koni's being stiff -- the KYB's are the shocks that are definitely too stiff. I think most folks are pretty happy with the Koni's. Alternatively, the Hotchkis or Bilstein units also seem to be well-reviewed.

Some folks have re-used their mono-leaf shock plates without any issues after converting to multi-leafs. If you go this route, you need to be careful that the shock doesn't interfere with the wheel since the lower shock mount ends up "extra" low due to the offset of the multi-leaf spring perch plus the mono-leaf plates. Some folks end up with the shocks rubbing the inside of the rear wheels with 15" or 16" diameter. Also, there can be issues with the shocks not having enough rebound travel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I've gone this far with the rebuild, I better shell out the extra bucks for the new plates. That seems the way to go...Thanks all.

Shocks:

Konis 114.80
Edelbrock 105.95
Hotchkis 89.95
Bilstien 81.95

I have Konis up front ,but Im sure that dosent matter..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts