Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm restoring my 68 SS and i'm looking for a recommendation for shocks. I'm a cruiser and just looking to replace my old shocks to smooth out my ride. I've heard a bit about KYB's but not sure if they are any good.

Thanks very much,

Joe

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
The Europeans know a little bit more about suspension than say American motors "Hey Rambler!"

Consider a few name plates like, Ferrari, Maseratis, Lamborghini, Porsche, Jaguar, Lotus. All rode on Scuderia, Bilstein, KYB, TTR, or QA-1 shocks. While we rejoiced that we had Gabriel or Monroe gas filled shocks (the OEM folks who made AC-Delco shocks for GM), they in Europe had double adjustable rebuildable shocks. Really want to talk about sophisticated shocks consider the French Peugeot that had an all hydraulic suspensions system.

Yes KYB shocks are good. But you will need more information than just make year and model to get shocks better than an off the shelf Monroe Monro-Matic Plus shock.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Had KYB "coil-over" shocks back in the day - don't even know if they still make them. As Garth mentioned, these were stiff as well. They replaced my air shocks and still allowed me to keep my 295/50's on the back. Yes the tires stuck out a little - Yes it was the 80's - good times!

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Bilstein for the win imho...

Don

·
14,741 Posts
KYB Gas are terrible

Bilsteins are nice. I have Ridetech single adlustable now and really like them

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I like Ridetech shocks but a lot of folks on this forum are going to choke on the price....

Don

·
14,741 Posts
I like Ridetech shocks but a lot of folks on this forum are going to choke on the price....

Don
Adjustable $185. Non adjustable $135 EACH.

But you get free shipping👍

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really liked the KYB Gas-a-just up front, but they were way too stiff for the rear and I swapped them out for KYB's non-Gas-a-just model and am much happier with the ride.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Adjustable $185. Non adjustable $135 EACH.

But you get free shipping👍
I am not seeing the non adjustable shocks listed for a Camaro but I am getting senile. :smile2:

Don

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Ever since my Rear Koni shocks seized, I've been using AC Delco gas cushioned shocks. This is an excellent shock that rides better than stock and is not stiff. The ride is so good that I won't even reinstall my front Koni's that I bought in 1983 that are still good and are adjustable. I bought the Delco shocks at an AC Delco store and not from GM in and around 1993. They are also guaranteed for life to the original purchaser.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts