Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for shock recommendations for a ‘69 convertible (has no cocktail shakers). My setup- 350 sbc, turbo 350 trans, new suspension- multi leaf springs and stock height coils. Has new body mounts and frame connectors. 4 wheel disc brakes. Quick ratio IROC steering box. 14 inch stock rally wheels, with BFG T/A’s. P235/60/R14 tires. (I will also be upgrading to a 1 1/8” front sway bar when I add the shocks). Driving habits- around town cruiser, and to car shows. No racing/track, so I’m not looking for “performance” shocks. Currently on the car is the AutoZone cheapie shocks. I want the smoothest, softest ride possible, kinda like a brand new Lexus lol. (I know that’s not even remotely possible, but you get the idea). Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
If you want a soft ride why are you installing such a big sway bar? It will increase your effective spring rate considerably. No need for a bar that big imho....

I would probably try Viking double adjustable shocks.

Don

Reactions: Mipakaco

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have HD Gas Gabriel shocks on 3 of my cars and like the ride. Bilstein in 2, a bit stiffer ride and a lot more expensive. . . . .especially considering the minimum of miles I drive these cars.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,157 Posts
I have HD Gas Gabriel shocks on 3 of my cars and like the ride. Bilstein in 2, a bit stiffer ride and a lot more expensive. . . . .especially considering the minimum of miles I drive these cars.
Bruce, You've mentioned the Gabriel HD gas shock in a number of posts. I can not find
a 1st gen Gabriel calling them an HD gas shock. What I find is Ultra, Guardian, and Classic.
Would you clarify what shock you're referring to please. Thanks

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
I would highly recommend adjustable shocks to dial in the ride YOU like.

Yes, more money up front, but cheaper than replacing a few times to get what YOU'RE looking for, and being happy. You ask what's best XXXXXX, and will get 100 different answers....just my opinion.

And yes, ViKings come in "stock style" (smooth body) replacements that are adjustable....not just coil-overs.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I use Bilsteiins and they are firm but, not harsh. FYI - My car has a 1" lower, Eibach front progressive lowering spring and rear has a 1" drop spacer. with factory front sway bar.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Even Koni Classic's are real nice. You can probably buy a single and or double adjustable version if you want a sportier setup too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts