Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install some front lowering springs (Eibach) on a 68 and wandered if there were any problems with shocks on lowered vehicles. I noticed one shock manufacturer mentioned for stock ride height and wandered if their were problems finding shocks for lowered vehicles or if it was even a concern. The springs I am using are listed as lowering the car 1"-1-1/2"

·
Registered
547 Posts
Look up the specs on your current shock to see what the shock travel is. Then measure your shock as it sits now with the car on the ground.

Then see how it looks once you put the lower springs in the car. I think I read that your shock needs to have about 1 1/2" or so of travel to be safe. That might be just for the rears...try doing a search to see if you can confirm that.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I was able to use OE replacement shocks on my 68 with the Eibachs. be advised that either the Eibachs do not drop as much as advertised, or the "stock height" they used when estimating their drop is a lot higher than we all remember. More like 0.5 inch drop is what most of us have seen.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone, thanks for your input. That disclaimer I ran across just got me to thinking that there might be some type of problem. The Eibachs will probably raise my car as I have a broken coil spring that has broken and lodged itself inside the rest of the spring. I am not looking forward to removing that spring as it looks very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Everyone, thanks for your input. That disclaimer I ran across just got me to thinking that there might be some type of problem. The Eibachs will probably raise my car as I have a broken coil spring that has broken and lodged itself inside the rest of the spring. I am not looking forward to removing that spring as it looks very dangerous.
It's not as bad as it seems. Just do a search for front spring removal. Then for safety run a chain or bike cable done through the center of the spring and around the subframe. That way if it does come flying out it isn't going anywhere. I used the Eibachs also on my 69.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts