Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin bought a mid 90's mustang (I tried talking him out of it!) with tons of modification done to it, the motor had a rough idle and he asked me if I knew anyone who can fix it....*Why didn't I stay out of it from here?*... SURE I DO!, I took it to a very reputable shop and the shop owner called me with the "good/bad" news.
this is there quote "Good news is we dynoed the car blah..blah..blah..fix the idling. Bad news is we were testing the shift points on the auto trans (which we do the same on every car) We do a full throttle from 1-2 then from 2-3 then 3-4...we did it a couple of times and the last time we tested it, we heard a loud whinning noise going from 3-4, which you dont have anymore."

From what the shop owner was saying, it sounds like my cousin owes him for the dyno tune + other things $550 and looking to tow the car out of the shop.

I drove the car in and it shifted fine! I guess the question is...
Is the shop at fault?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yeah, it is hard to say, I guess look at the paper work you sighned prior to having anywork done.

·
Registered
601 Posts
its not there problem that trans was most likely on way out anyway.on a dyno it takes the car like driving on the street condition and reads how much power the car has.if car has hp in it when trans is rebuilt have a shift kit put in and some racing clutches and bands put in

·
Super Moderator
33,286 Posts
Agreed, not the shop's problem. Nobody knew of the condition of the trans.
Minimum ten year old trans with modified engine?
Receipt if trans work done previously?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He said it happened on a test drive and he was about 2 miles away from his shop, so it didn't happen on the dyno.

2'nd...I didn't sign any paper work, I went into his office, he filled out a repair order... no signatures and he didn't give me a copy. Gave me 2 business cards

When I originally dropped the car off he said it sounds like you need the computer reconfigured, tuning, and something with the fuel regulator. He said it would run around $500.....I told him to check it out before he does anything and call me.... that's when he called today and said (good news/bad news) we started to work on the car and tuned it on the dyno..........What happened with him calling me back before he starts working on it?!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Thats B.S. just in that they worked on it without an estimate or call given. I believe law says repairs can not exceed (10%?) of original estimate without written consent from the owner. Unfortunately the tranny is going to be a battle I'm sure, since they will say it was not their fault, and you will have to prove otherwise.
Sad thing is, the tranny probably was on it's last leg, the ford AOD tranny in the mustangs was not known for strength, so if the car had decent power and the trans was stock, it was probably going to be short lived anyway.
And hey, take it easy on the Mustangs, I have an 89 5 liter myself :boxing: ;)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
maybe they will compromise. you provide the new tranny and they provide the labor to install it. i would be pissed too but it doesn't really sound like their fault.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I previously worked at a Ford dealer and this happened more than once. Generally what we would do is offer the customer some discounts. If the trans went it was already going to fail. It was just a matter of who was driving it. Maybe talk to the shop manager, if you tell him you are going to have all the work done there he will more than likely help you out. A discount on a large sale is better than no sale.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I used to havean 91 5.0 mustang and it was a good car. One day driving home, when I lived in Virginia Beach, the transmission went to slipping. I took it to a transmission shop in Smithfield, Virginia and he new exactly what had happened. I guess the is some kinda line that hangs over the top of the motor, it tends to dry and and loose pressure then burn up your trans. That is what he told me anyway. I had it rebuilt...2700 bucks later, it worked like a champ!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with the shop owner face to face and he admits to beating on the car when the gears let go..He said he pushes every car that comes in because he's trying to get every poney out of the motor...He will cut back on the dyno/tune but will not eat the pice for the trans.
It just sux. I drove the car in. now I have to tow it out. (and my cousin owes him money)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Your first words were "I took it to a very reputable shop", so you were comfortable with his reputation. Sounds like the trans was on its last legs, and even if the guy pushed it a little, it was only a matter of time for failure. If your car was meant for just grocery getting, I doubt you would have had the car at this particular shop, and with major motor mods, it kind of a "given" what you guys would like to see out of the car, and its not the best mileage routine. Its times like this that will either strengthen your resolve to fix your own cars, or find another hobby. I realize some work may be above your skill level, but did you even work on it before bringing it to the pro?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nikkisdad,
The guy works on High performance Mustangs only and every guy I asked "who can I take it to", he was recommended. (I have no idea an how an EFI Mustang runs, It needed to be tuned through the computer. ) Oh, also the car was bought with all the mods done to it.
, but I own 69,67 Camaros and 72 cutlass, all with Holley carbs and they run like a raped ape. (old GM is my hobby)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
69, I guess where he come highly recomended you just kind of have to give him the benefit of doubt. It is sad the trans checked out, but like I and others said, it probally was ready to go soon anyway. I have been involved with a couple of things like this, cars are like women, gotta treat them right.............or someting breaks, and fast....Good luck I hope it sorts out for you guys.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
The whole deal stinks. I wouldn't want anyone driving my car like that but, me. Good chance the tranny would have failed adventually but, that can be said for every tranny on the road, it's a matter of time before it wears out (as with all mechanical things). The problem I have with it is he was out beating on a customers car. If you knew that was part of the deal going into it, then not much can be said. Sounds like their was a lack of communictaion both ways, you for not telling him exactly what you wanted and expected and the shop owner for not telling you the methods he was going to use and that he would drive the car hard. Never EVER sign anything that you don't get a copy of.

As mentioned above I would try to work with the shop to see if he can cut you a deal on the tranny and/or labor. He could have very well caused the failure due to abuse but, you can't prove it. None of us know what condition the tranny was in before the failure. If the shop has a good reputation which it sounds like it does, then the tranny must have been ready to go. Do the miles confirm his story of a short test drive? If the car has less than 10 or so more miles than when you dropped it off, it is probably legit. It it has 50+ more miles I would question it a bit more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So the way to fix a rough idle is to go beat the car with WOT shifts until the tranny goes out? I think the shop should at LEAST give a VERY healthy discount (say, 80% off?) on a new trans, and install it for free! Don't shops have insurance for this type of thing? If they solved the original problem then pay them for it after the work is done. Of course, if he makes an insurance claim, his rates may go up, so that's why he's playing hard to get. You just don't break a customer's car and then tell him to come tow it out of your shop, saying "tough break, oh well"

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the way to fix a rough idle is to go beat the car with WOT shifts until the tranny goes out? I think the shop should at LEAST give a VERY healthy discount (say, 80% off?) on a new trans, and install it for free! Don't shops have insurance for this type of thing? If they solved the original problem then pay them for it after the work is done. Of course, if he makes an insurance claim, his rates may go up, so that's why he's playing hard to get. You just don't break a customer's car and then tell him to come tow it out of your shop, saying "tough break, oh well"
Thanks for seeing it my way!

·
Registered
226 Posts
At our shop, you want to run on the Dyno, you sign a waiver form. Shop is NOT responsible for damage to car, engine, or trans. Owner fills in blanks, Rev limit, etc, and then the car can go on the dyno.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts