Team Camaro Tech banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
What's the point of making the same power by destroking if it costs a lot more to build (a high rpm engine) ?
Class rules. I recall seeing small cube big blocks in NHRA classes where it was only normal to see small blocks running. Those destroked big blocks with 348 and 409 cranks ran very respectable et's back then.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Glad to see this thread brought back to life. I'm doing my version of a big bore - short stroke engine. CNC Bowtie block at 4.600, Lunati Pro Mod 3.75" stroke crank (499 cubes) , Lunati Pro Mod rods, Isky Red Zone solid rollers with street option, Pro Topline 320cc runner heads, SRP forged pistons with 11.25:1 compression. The cam will have the same .050 duration numbers as the old L-88 (264/270) but .725 lift and I'll run Jesel shaft rockers. Induction is up in the air at this point but I'm looking at one of the redesigned Weiand single plane 4150's and a 1050hp Holley. I'm a month or so from building this monster and it'll eventually find a home between the frame rails of my '82 Corvette with a beefed up rearend and a Super T-10 with nodular case and midplate.
It'll be my street toy that will make an occasional trip to the strip, more for bragging rights than anything else. I'm sure that traction below 30mph will be a joke. What I'm looking forward to is downshifting to third and mashing the loud pedal at 70mph.
Can I get a he!! yeah :D :D :D :D
Why not try a 4 inch stroke, 4.6 bore for 532 cubes? Many available short blocks in this combo available already. Bore/stroke ratio about same as a 350 but a little bigger. 800 hp can be had on pump gas at less than 7,000 rpm and live on the street. I like this combo over very popular 540.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
592 Posts
Why not try a 4 inch stroke, 4.6 bore for 532 cubes? Many available short blocks in this combo available already. Bore/stroke ratio about same as a 350 but a little bigger. 800 hp can be had on pump gas at less than 7,000 rpm and live on the street. I like this combo over very popular 540.
You may not have noticed that you replies to a comment from 2007 and this thread originated almost 20 years ago.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I love to see a PDQ post make it to the top every once in a while. Paul was truly a one of a kind.

:thumbs:

Reactions: 69Z28

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I always thought the limiting factor in winding up a BBC was the valvetrain, not the bottom end. Invest in titanium valves if you want to wind 'er up to the moon IMHO.
Nowadays it's easy to build a bottom end that can survive high revs. JMHO

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Yeah, since we are commenting on an old thread, I've always liked to "build 'em BIG and turn 'em slow"

Doesn't break things that way. Revving stuff to the moon doesn't usually end well......

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
My G/MP friend (13 pound per cubic inch) with the 287 inch small block only broke rear ends. He was using a 57-63 Pontiac with a 9.3" ring gear. After I got the wheel hop situation settled down, even that breakage stopped. 11,000 rpm and dump el clutcho. Was using a very early metallic disk set-up.
I think he may still hold the IHRA F/Gas mph record.

Reactions: Muncie

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think Reher-Morrison-Shepherd
was running a 396 w/348 crank,
362 CID.

You BB fans might get a kick out of this.....For 2021, the fastest Pure Stock Muscle Car in the United States is a 396/375 (what else ?)
Chevelle

Beat the so-called iconic hemi 2/3.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts