Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure. In moving my alt. from the drive's side to the pass side, I know I need a long pump. Do I use the same pump pulley but a difference crank pulley so they align?? Thanks!!!

This swap is fun! I get to sell all this "numbers" carp on eBay and more than pay for the new parts. Thanks to all you restorers that need this original stuff!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
ALL pulleys and brackets are different from short to long water pump including the fan clutch and cooling shroud. You don't need a long water pump. Look at alangrovecomponents.com. Look at the low profile brackets.

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S.B.Short_Pump.htm

If you continue like you are, it won't be fun.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
If you plan on sticking with stock components, then I would recommend using the long pump. It will keep things easier and cheaper, especially if you can find a complete donor engine with the same setup you're looking for.

Larry

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ALL pulleys and brackets are different from short to long water pump including the fan clutch and cooling shroud. You don't need a long water pump. Look at alangrovecomponents.com. Look at the low profile brackets.

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S.B.Short_Pump.htm

If you continue like you are, it won't be fun.
Given the fact that I'm adding power steering, it will be much easier to switch to the long pump.

·
10,153 Posts
Long water pump pulleys are all deep groove, only Z/28 and BB engines got the deep groove with short water pump, other short pump small block cars used very narrow pulleys which tend to throw belts quite easily.

The ps pump usually mounts off the water pump on early long water pump engines.
David

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
If you insist on going with the long pump, make sure you go with '69 brackets for your power steering. Power steering was also available on short water pumps. All 67-68's are short water pump. 69's are all long pumps.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Hope you have a set of heads with the accessory mounting holes in them. You will need them to mount the alternator on the passenger side using stock brackets.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope you have a set of heads with the accessory mounting holes in them. You will need them to mount the alternator on the passenger side using stock brackets.
I am curious about something though.....if the bottom bracket attaches to the 2 block holes on the lower left of the timing chain cover, and the top bolt to the water pump and the intake, why do I need the holes in the head????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts