Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a complete 454 for sale in my local paper for $2500. I talked to the owner and he's not sure what the hp/torque rating is. He said it was rebuilt stock and is a carbureted 454 from the mid 1980's and comes with factory headers.

I have a '67 RS/SS with a 350 and Muncie 4-speed. Not sure what my rear-end is, but I think 3:73. I had the car chassis dyno'd last Summer and the numbers were not too impressive - Max HP = 250.1 ; Max Torque = 323.6

My car is not numbers matching. I don't plan to race the car (perhaps from a few stoplights - but not on the track), but I'd like it to go quite a bit faster. I know with any makor power increase, I will have to plan on upgrading the brakes (front disc, rear drum) if nothing else.

Knowing that I can get a freshly rebuilt 454 for $2500, am I going to be happier and better off cost-wise going with that, or would my money be better spent on my existing 350?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
? YES. buy the motor. no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
406 Posts
small block camaros rock, BIG BLOCK CAMAROS ROCK !

If I was in your position, everything considered ,I'd already have it in my garage!

:thumbsup: :yes: :hurray: :cool: :beers: :p

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
It's a truck or motor home engine. Your smallblock probably has more actual hoursepower but nowhere near the torque. It will cost you some money to make the 454 right not counting the expense of the changeover from a small block.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I won't make your car faster if it's been rebuilt stock. The mid 1980's were not very good for horsepower & torque numbers. Case in point: The so called High Output Engine in a 1984 Z28 had a whopping (insert sarcasm) 190 horsepower. I know, I had one...It was not until 1987 when the 350 engine debuted in the IROC-Z debuted that horsepower numbers started increasing. Yes the 305 TPI engine had 215 HP that year but I HATE 305's. They are unreliable junk and best suited as boat anchors. You can put the 305 in the same class as the Turbo 200 trans.

I'll be the first one to tell you I LOVE BIG BLOCKS!! But assuming this 454 was rebuilt to stock mid 1980's specs I would take the $2,500 and put it in your 350. Or I would wait and spend $3,500 or $4-$5k on a screaming big block.

If you are asking whether or not $2,500 is a fair price for a 454 like that. The answer is yes. I have seen these go for $2,000 to $2,500 all day long and if some people are really desperate to sell I've seen them go as low as $1,500...or as much as $3k....But if it's been rebuilt to stock specs if may not have more than the horspepower you car has now and the torque would be slightly higher.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with oger! It will certainly be from a truck or motor home. It'll make good torque but won't rev.:boring: You will most likely need to replace the "peanut" port heads, cam, and intake to make decent power. Dont forget a water pump, acessory brackets, mounts, ect. You could easily spend an additional $2k, minimum, to make it run the way you think it should. Just think how much faster your small block could run if you spent $4k on it.:yes:

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK - So it sounds like I'd be better off just putting a few grand into my 350. There's a speed shop about 5 miles from my house, so I'll probably put some of the money Uncle Sam took last year and pour it into 'Betsy!'

Thanks for weighing in guys! I really appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
33,287 Posts
Not that I'm a BBC fan, but you might reconsider your decision.

You could take this engine, freshen it up to say the least, keep the heads and change out the cam for a nice user-friendly Comp 268 High Energy or Isky 270 cam and enjoy the tons of torque, which by the way, you feel in your "Seat-Of-the-Pants" meter.

Its torque you feel from one stop light to the next. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I don't think you should get it. Wait till you find a 454 that needs to be rebuilt then you can build it the way that you want! One that needs to be rebuilt sells for around $700.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
a pair of afr 195 heads and a good cam will yield better power and torque, and you wont have to change springs, crossmember, motor mounts, p.steer lines, brackets, and so on... (in other words, a lot less work for a better pucker factor) and south side, they never put a bbc in an 84 z...apples and handgrenades kinda...a better example is the ckev 454 ss tbi that made like 240 hp!!!talk about a wimp!!!i agree that the bbc he`s looking at in stock form will be piggy...i also feel that 2500 is too much money for a piggy stock 454...these engines can make tons of power, but cost a lot to build compared to a sbc...look up the price of afr heads for your small block, and a comparable set for a 454...you`ll have a panic attack...at the power level you desire, sbc all the way!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would say do not buy it and I live eat and breath for big blocks. If I were you I would look at the Team Camaro classifieds there is a nice 454 there for a $2500 asking price and a real nice sounding 509. You can find some really good deals on 454 engs. right now because a lot of big block guy's a running 502.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I have a wicked ZZ-4 I'm thinking of selling. It was in my car when I bought it. Supposedly ran 11.70's. It screams. It has the GM hot cam, Edelbrock E-Tec heads, And Air Gap manifold. I ran it all summer 2 years ago, took it to grudge matches at Elk City Oklahoma and pretty much kicked butt except one dude with a big block in a 56 chevy beat me by 2 lengths.But I didn't know how to footbrake then, I think I would eat him alive now.
Super dependable. Sweet sounding. Kick myself everytime I think of selling it, but I was going to put it in a Scout I hadn't seen in 25 years, and when I went to fetch it they had thrown it away. I have it on an irrigation engine stand in my garage,all outfitted with dual ehahaust except one sides a muffler and t'other is a glasspack, and a radiator, starter, tach and even a fuel system of sorts. It's my carb mule.
Yeah, ZZ-4's rock.
Later
Tim

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So let's say I spent $5500 on a freshly built 502 or 509. How much more am I going to have to spend to get it to work in my car?

Will a ZZ-4 bolt right in? Can I get my 350 rebuilt into a ZZ-4?

Again - thanks you guys! I wish I was able to do more helping on this site, but for now - I'm still deep in the learning curve.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Gehrkmania,

You will spend alot more on pulley's, belts, hoses, possibly a fly wheel, starter, engine mounts, brackets, radiator, power steering pump, gear box etc. It can ad up in a hurry. It's been a long time since I replaced a small block with a big block. My first 1969 Camaro was a pre-X code car that had a stock 327. I put a built 396 in it. That was 15 years ago and parts were ALOT cheaper then.

Don't worry about helping out on the site. It's ok. Learning is cool. I went from November of 1994 until June of 2006 without owning a V8 car. (see my signature below). I'm relearning alot of stuff as well. There's some very knowledgeable guys on this site. Some have more knowledge in one particular area over another. Never hesitate to ask a question.

Like I said I love big blocks but like kustomwerker said that 454 may only have 240 horsepower. Thanks kustomewerker for the response. You said what I was trying to say but I couldn't get the correct words on type. As he said, the mid 1980's were piggy's. In comparison a 350 V8 in a 1989 IROC-Z had 240 HP. You don't want to spend $2,500 on a 454 engine that may give you no more horsepower, 10 ft. lbs of torque if you are lucky---and add 100 lbs of weight at least. Take your time and do it right. If you have a bigger budget like others said find a nicely built 454. They have come down in price because everyone wants 502's & 540's.

To the rest, I still can't say this enough times. I don't care what anyone says, I HATE 305 engines. Their cam shafts are softer than wet toilet paper, they are unreliable junk and like the Turbo 200 trans they are both better served as boat anchors.

Bottom Line: Gehrk----Take what you plan on spending and add double or triple I found that out the hard way from June-Sept of last year. As I said above, take your time and do it right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts