Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted my camaro for sale on this website as well as ebay. i have been hearing all about the scams, repops and everything online and I am worried as to if I should post the VIN or not. I have had one guy already ask me for it but no other questions about the car.

What should I do? Should I give him the VIN?

Erik

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If I was selling my car I wouldn't have a problem posting my VIN publicly. I can't think of anything fraudulent that would be done with it.

Good luck with your auction,
Doug

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would never post a full vin on any internet ad...I leave the last three digits as XXX. I dont see any reason why someone over the internet needs the full vin. I dont know what someone can do with the full vin...and I dont want to find out either! Now if after I bought the car I couldnt get the vin...that's a different story. But just in the advertisement of the car? No need...in my opinion.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Some who has access to D.M.V. or police records could trace the car to registered owner. Suppose someone come to your home and steal your car. Stranger things have happened.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I would not publicily post the VIN. You could post it as 124379N530XXX which is what Riviera said. If a buyer asks you for it and he e-mails you at least you can save the e-mail when you send them the whole VIN by e-mail. I would send the VIN by e-mail. That way if the car gets stolen God Forbid you can save the e-amil and maybe the authorities can track who that e-mail address belongs to & where the person lives.

Good Luck selling!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Post the vin. They can't do anything with it.
When a person is selling a car I agree. What's the big deal if you no longer own the car?

Doug

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I dont think there is much that can be done with a VIN, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it then leave the last 3 digits anonymous as suggested earlier.

I wouldnt worry too much about someone tracing the car to you in order to find its location in order to steal it. If theyre going to do that, I'm pretty sure they would be able to do that through your IP, email, etc.

With Pontiacs and PHS, potential buyers will want the VIN in order to get their own copy of the PHS docs just to make sure. With Chevrolets and others, theres not a whole lot someone can do with the VIN if the title is clear and in your name.

As far as the Yenko VIN list... I believe there are two Yenkos out there with the same VIN? Pretty sure that could be because of the list. Could be incorrect, but I have come across that story a time or two.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Well if its a Canadian car they could get a copy of the build sheet from GM, something i don't think anybody should have except the owner.
Same with PHS documents, the Canadian paperwork can be faked also.

If you are seriously looking to buy a particular car, and the paperwork is available from the source (rather than what the seller has), it is in the best interest of the prospective buyer to verify it through that source to verify that the paperwork is legit.

I havent dealt in Canadian cars, but have dealt with Pontiacs. It is commonly accepted that the VIN is given to a potential buyer in order to verify for themselves due to all the paperwork fraud in this market.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts