Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if its normal for the rear of the car to sit lower then the front on a 69 coupe with Moog replacement SB springs up front and 5 leaf in the rear of the car?:confused. I did use Detroit speed leaf conversion kit (switched from mono to 5 leaf) could this make a difference in the rears hight?

·
19,736 Posts
I used the Moog Z-28 replacement springs and my front end was real high (28.25" from the floor to the wheel well lip) So I was told it would settle... it only went down a .25" :( I cut one full coil off the top and it dropped 2.25"...looks a lot better IMO :yes:

before

after

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These were put on about 15 years ago...so dont feel bad! lol I'm still not sure if the guy who installed them put them in correctly either. I have read that Moog only has one SB spring and easton make diffrent springs for SB and Sb with A/C.

Your car does look great!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Steve; it is not normal for the front to sit higher than the rear. It sounds like the springs may either be wrong for your application, or they are caught on the spring perches. I had one like that for awhile too; it was causing of my drivers rear to sag also. I am running Moog 6308's now and I love them, with Hotchkis 1.5 lowering springs in the rear. Before I made the conversion, I was running stock fronts and 5-leaf rears. Those 5-leafs held the rear up quite a bit and was definitely higher (considerably) than the front. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Actually 1st gen Camaro's were a little nose high from the factory. After the rear springs weakened some it was even worse ! The mono spring car's really sagged. About the only thing that you can do is to cut your front coils some.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I like my cars to set level or slightly higher in the rear. i have a 67 camaro big block car. I have moroso small block springs in front and global west 2' lower springs in the rear. my car sets 28" in the rear and 27" in the front.

If i were you I would find me a local round track racer with some weight scales and weigh all four corners. most guys charge 50 or 100 bucks to do this. it takes an hour or 2. This will save you a lot of time and money down the road and you can get the correct spring the first time. if you were arround TN i would do it for you. i don't race round track. But do race 1/4 mile. I scale my car 2 or 3 times a year, just to make sure nothing is wearing out.
Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts