Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a convertible 69 SS and concerned with safety. I would like to install shoulder seat belts but have no clue as to the installation, type or functionality of convertible shoulder belts. Has anyone had any experience with this? thanks for any comments.

·
11,296 Posts
hoo, boy! here we go again

There has been a lot of discussions about that. You have 2 options and both have their difficulties.

Original style: You have to find a place to make them for you, but I have the lengths. You have to get the hardware and they are pricey. Fit and functionality are passable, but without the retractors, it is tough to move around

aftermarket style: Trying to fit these in are tough at best. convertibles lack the proper mount points to do this right, but others have tried it. Might be less money.

Do some searches in interior and convertible forums, it has been talked about a lot.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin,
Thanks for the info. I would like original style, therefore what are the lengths? Where can someone find retractors? I will search in those mentioned forums, I take it from your response that this was a frequently mentioned topic. Thanks for your help I didn't consider a search.

·
11,296 Posts
Dave, original style shoulder harnesses did not have a retractor, they just layed there or flopped around, hence the passable function. Front female 48 in finished web, rear females 60 in, males for both are close to 21 in. There are a couple of special converts only parts that are not reproduced (I reproed one part). I have to write up a paper on it.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Boy, If you wear the belts religeously, you really get used to the retractors in modern cars. Every damn time I get in my '68 coupe, I buckle up the harnesses and then remember that I haven't released the e-brake!!! :mad: I just can't reach that damn handle w/o undoing the shoulder belt!!

Paul D.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
hi ive thought about shoulder harness for a while now and have been keeping an eye on what others say and come up with i have a 67 coupe and this winter im going to be taking her apart for paint .im going to play around with installing a shoulder harness i have a chevy S-10 and the retractor is mounted on the floor goes up to a loop on the door frame which i think i can mount on the roof just aft of the door window and then to the belt which would have to be changed because it would be part of the should belt just a idear tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts