Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have another question.
I have a drivetrain shudder at slightly off idle. It doesn't shudder when in nuetral, and vehicle speed has nothing to do with it.
If I hold the brake and stall it, I get the shudder. Is this possibly a problem with the torque converter?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Could be the converter, but check your engine and tranny mounts first.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
317 Posts
The converter is spinning no matter what position the tranny is in, so it is not the converter, unless your higer neutral idle speed is already past your shudder. Find what RPM this shudder is at.
Otherwise, it may be only happening under a load, and for that I would do as 1 2 Run says. Let us know.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't looked at the flexplate and converter bolts since I put 'em in, actually, so I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...
Mounts are all good, torque converter bolts are all tight.
The flexplate looks good, too, from what I can see.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know a good way to troubleshoot this? What I'm really wondering is a way to figure out if it's in the motor or in the converter or tranny.
Anyone know if there's a way to tell by looking if the harmonic balancer is fouled up or if the motor is otherwise out of balance? It was balanced when it was put together.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the rubber always look bad on a balancer that's bad, or are there any other ways to tell?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Might be a slight miss under load too. I would power brake it and have a friend ground the cylinders one at a time and see if it is cylinder specific and go from there. I would think a balance issue would be independant of engine load.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro The Combat Rat
80 z28 Camaro 355ci
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a really good point.
I'm going to check it in a couple of weekends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts