Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a friends '93 Plymouth Acclaim. She bought this thing 2 years ago (cheap) with a bad miss that a full tuneup didn't fix. She didn't have the money to fix it, and drove it like this until a few weeks ago. Now it pukes ALL of the water out of the radiator overflow reservoir within 1-2 minutes. There is barely more than normal moisture coming out the tailpipe, but it is definately pressurizing the cooling system. I got the head off...the head gasket was perfect (and obviously changed at some point), and there is absolutely no sign of anti freeze in the exhaust ports, in the chambers, or on any of the plugs. I did find the source of the miss though...#2 exhaust valve has about 1/8" burnt completely off on opposite sides of the valve, making it kinda oval shaped. I assume it burnt up that bad from driving it so long with that dead cylinder. After cleaning the cylinders up, there are some odd lines about 1/4" to 1/2" long that run around the bore parallel to the top ring and just about an inch below the deck, which makes me suspect that the cylinder may be cracked. Has anybody every heard of a cylinder cracking from weak combustion? It may just be cosmetic, but I have never seen marks like that, even in some extremely high mileage engines.
The other thing is that there is a definate blow by issue. The top of the TBI looked like someone dumped a quart of used motor all over the top of it, and the oil filter was NASTY (but fairly new). Yet, the cylinders have no ridge at all, and the hone marks are still easily visable, and none of the pistons are visably cracked or broken, and there has never been any indication of detonation. Any ideas what else to check?
There is no water in the oil, and even with the water puking issue it always starts very easily. Fuel economy is attrocious...my 3/4 ton truck gets twice the fuel economy as this thing does. I am going to get the head magged this week just to rule that out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
what about a leak down test on that cylinder, at the same time moniter the cooling system pressure.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
kind of hard to do a leak down test when the head is at the machinist getting redone..

·
Registered
345 Posts
he might still have the head, even then that does'nt mean he can't do it when he gets the head back, its the only way I know to test that with out riping apart the engine and taking it to the machine shop also. just trying to offer ideas when no one else would.

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
Cylinders crack due to overheating, I would think. If alum head has more than 0.020" with a straightedge, head is toast.

Kindda sounds like a sad story.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A leakdown test on #2 was out of the question. On a cranking compression test it would bump the needle to about 10psi for that cylinder but wouldn't hold it. Thats why I didn't do a leakdown on it.
She knew enough to shut it down as soon as it got hot, but I have no idea how tough these engines are, or how hot she really got it before she could get off the road. Most of these little engines only seem to take one good overheating before a head cracks on them.
Its kind of a shame really. Apparently these engines wasn't in use for very long...the cheapest rebuilt longblock I could find for it costs a lot more than what the car will ever be worth, and so far I haven't had any luck finding one in a salvage yard either in Oklahoma or Missouri. Looks like we may be junking the car...I don't see the head issue causing all the blowby.
This little thing is suprisingly advanced for a low end '93 model car. Roller cam, very compact "vortec" style combustion chambers, cast iron long tube header, etc.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Travis,

Have you looked into Jegs for one?

Or gotten on a WATTS line and asked for a long block quote from anywhere around the country?

I want to say Diemeckies in Mexico may be able to chase one down for you.

I think that's their name? I got my 1980 Cad Seville rear disc brakes through them years ago is why I mention them.

Anyway, I figure any big salvage yard should have a WATTS line.

She might be money ahead to have you put it back together and then use it as a $300 trade-in for a newer/better car????? If she can at least drive it in..

pdq67

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
2.5 engines are a dime a dozen in the junkyards...thats because they have very poor heads...head problems are evry common...doing a motor swap in that car can be done faster than a cyl head job, and probably cheaper if you use a boneyard motor...you can usually go to the yard, and pick a motor...and they usually have newer cyl heads already...personally, i`d look for a different headache...the acclaim, and most 2.2/2.5 cars are more of a migraine...jmho...

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Didn't the old "K"-cars have heads that lasted right at 60,000 back then too!

So apparently Chrysler never did get the heads figured out UNLESS that was the plan to begin with!

AND that was to make the suckers so they would last right at 60,000 and then have to either be fixed, BIG BUCKS or thrown away/traded in for another POS, but this time w/ payments again................

pdq67

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
No, my now long gone F-i-L used to trade K-cars and it seemed like every one he got was just old enough that it needed a head! 60 to 75,000 miles OLD!!!

That's why I say this crap!! Outside of that, they were dandy cheap little cars..

pdq67

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
wasn't the whole concept of the "K car" was to make a cheap disposable car that you would be happy to trade in every 4 years for a new one?
seems like something Lee Iococa (or however it's spelled) would think of to save Chrysler.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This car actually has about 140K miles on it. It seems to be built *less cheaply* than the earlier K cars and the engine seems to be a bit sturdier design than the earlier 2.2's. I've replaced blown head gaskets and cracked heads on over 2 dozen 2.2 chryslers in the last 10 years, including one in a Lebaron GTS turbo. That little sucker ran suprisingly good once it got some boost built up...and it had 180K miles on it.
I'm pretty leary of a salvage motor for these little things. I'd like to find a low mileage one out of a wrecked car but so far I haven't had any luck.

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
I guess the price of repair would depend upon the value of the car and availability of a newer car.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
It's amazing what a he will do for a she , when he knows better than to do it if it were for himself. I am always finding myself in such a mess. Yeah, men are pigs.

Try Dallas Auto Salvage 972-286-5644, they can ship on Beaver Express up into Oklahoma. I got a good Ford/Mitsubishi Probe engine off them a couple years ago.
Later
Tim:beers:

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Have you tried Car-part.com?
They show 3 in Bokchito, OK.
They show Caravan engine is interchangeable.
Just so happens I might own a 91 Caravan. It was my Dads.
I'll give you the engine if you want it, if it's still there, and you have to pull it. I parked it at a friends Salvage yard a few years ago, dead computer. Hasn't run in years. He may have crunched it, I told him I didn't want it to do as he pleased. I'll take a pass by there and see if it's there if you want it. He tried to sell me the salvage yard about a year ago.So Idunno.:D .
I would even give you the whole van if that makes it easier for you. Best I can do for ya.
Later
Tim

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bokchito, OK...ok, I'll have to blow some OLD cobwebs out here. Is that between Durant and Antlers? I know I've been thru there many many times...I used to go to college in Durant at SOSU. Graduated high school in Clayton, dated a girl from Antlers for years, etc. Got my first reckless driving ticket in Bennington (big smoky burnout in the middle of freaking nowhere...and a highway patrol officer sitting down the street watching me :clonk: ). Lots of great and not so great memories down in that part of OK! What part are you located in?

Oh, and thanks for the offer on the van, but I am doing this work in Jefferson City, MO...way too much trouble to haul a van up here to do the work for a car that isn't worth that much trouble. That is good info on the caravan engine being the same...that opens up a lot more options. In all honesty this car really isn't worth the work I have put into it. But, she doesn't have much money to spend (single mom, 2 kids), and I am doing the work pretty much for free. I'll continue searching for an engine in the morning now that I know the van engine is the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts