Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1996 Z28 LT1. One day recently I was stopped at a red light and she began to grumble. When the light turned green and I went to go she stalled out on me. Almost as if I let off the clutch too quick. Well, I attempted to start her again and she would start and die. This happened several times before some people helped me get her off the road. I went back a couple hours later and she started up after about 5 cranks. I got her home and the next day I took her to "The Hobby Shop" here on the base where my husband and I are stationed. We replaced the PVC Valve hose that was basically in two pieces in hopes that it would be the easy fix. Well, guess what, it never turns out to be the easy thing. On my way home from the shop she did it again. This time I went back a couple hours later and she wouldn't even turn over. Luckily, when I went back to try again today she started for me. So now she is at least home and not on the side of some road. I guess my question is.....what do you think, doc? If it is an O2 censor is that a difficult/expensive fix? What else do you think it could be. Or where should I begin to look. I have a repair manual and a hobby shop full of helpful people. What I don't have is the money to take her to some con-mechanic. Anything would be helpful!

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
I picked up on one clue that has hit close to home with modern computer cars. You said one time it wouldn't even crank over for you. If your battery is not holding a charge none of the electronic parts can work properly. All your symptoms can be related to the condition of the battery.

Have the battery checked, replace if needed. If it checks out OK start looking at your charging system...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She would crank but not start. I guess I should've been clearer on that. The couple of times that this has happened now she will start but die right away and the one time (actually a few attempts) she would just crank. Why is it that sometimes she starts and drives and then dies and wont start???

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
I'll still go with having the batt checked... It's usually free. you can have enough power to crank the engine over but not enough for the computer and fuel system to work properly. Batteries are weird, ever have a batt operated whatever stop working, you turn it off for 2 hrs and it works for a few minutes? same deal with a car battery...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would agree with Dennis. My son was having trouble with his '95. It would run rough (even though it started O.K.) He finally did a load test on the battery and it was weak. He replaced it and said the car hadn't run so well in months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She seems to act up once I get on the gas. The first time this happened after I got her started again I was driving her home I spead/speeded (?) up to get through a yellow light and she grumbled. Then when I changed the PCV hose I was getting on her a little on the way home to test her and that's when she died out. I am going to check the battery though....why not!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts