Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering putting side pipes on my 69 convertible but I am not sure what to look for.

I plan on cruising a local swap meet next weekend. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for and what size and length would work the best?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I have the 71" Dynomax Sideliner pipes on my 67 model. They look really nice, but I am going to a 3" dual/flowmaster setup.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
MangeMD, nice ride, do you have anymore pics? maybe some close-ups? what's the ground clearance on those babies? if your selling the sides, i'll take take them off yer hands, are you going to spring Carlisle?

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
You wouldn't want em. They have NO muffler inside (the previous owner took them out) and they are super loud (illegal). You can get em new for about 250 bucks through Jegs.

My car is torn down right now...that pic is a few months old...I am in the middle of redoing the interior, then it's off to the muffler shop--->tranny shop--->body shop!

I know nothing of Carlisle (I am a Camaro noob).

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Oh yeah...I'll have to measure the clearance, but my car is not lowered and those babies are LOW. NTB had to replace the left heat shield after they pulled it onto their rack and ripped it off.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
noob = new to the hobby/obsession

·
Registered
298 Posts
I ran "Micky Thompson Show Tubes" on my 68 back in the 70's. I thought it looked cool. Allot of fried legs from the chicks gettin in & out of the car. These were the fake chrome header type w/only one tube running exhaust into muffler tube. Jeez, I just ran a lag bolt up through the bottom of the rocker w/ a shock mount rubber on it to try and isolate them from the body. Had to keep buying bigger lag bolts as they would pull through the sheet metal. I needed guidance!
Roger

·
Registered
63 Posts
Spames, your right, it's not an east coast thing. only out here on the southwest coast we call them "LOWRIDERS" driven by the homies, or the guys that run the old flathead T-buckets. Roger, you so right, it did look cool in the 70's along with bell bottom pants and hang ten shirts. or maybe in the early 80's on a trans-am as long as you had the open shirt with the gold chains and HI-KARATE aftershave.Kevin, those are the good looking type of sidepipes.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
My Dad had a 69 Vette 350 4 speed convert in Brick red with a black top and the Stainless inserts in the gills. Ran mostly OEM stock with the exception of chrome Hooker sidemounts. Nothing sounds better than that IMHO. Loud and powerful sound that can not be duplicated with smaller pipes. I would buy a Vette again just to have that sound at my disposal. :cool:

-Mark.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
i found this pic:

looks awesome, and that's a lot comin from me, cause i really don't like 69's that much

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Those are sidepipe covers from a late 60's big block Vette. The purpose of the covers was to keep you from burning your legs on the exhaust pipes. Those same pipes were installed on some '69 Baldwin-Motion Camaros.

Jim, where did you find that pic?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
gheatly , i've been saving camaro pics for like 3 years now, i have no clue where i found it. sorry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts