Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the 78 series side post is the same size battery as the 34 top post

Anyone using a 78 series battery?

Going to replace battery cables with a new battery and would rather have a side post

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

Going to replace battery cables with a new battery and would rather have a side post
I'm running an Interstate MTP-78. My 69 Came with a side post battery so that's what I put back in it. At some point someone had chopped off the ends and put bolt on press fit replacement ends for a top post. I put OE replacement cables on it that were stamped etc. A little more expensive, but they still look great after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running an Interstate MTP-78. My 69 Came with a side post battery so that's what I put back in it. At some point someone had chopped off the ends and put bolt on press fit replacement ends for a top post. I put OE replacement cables on it that were stamped etc. A little more expensive, but they still look great after a few thousand miles.
I would replace the battery cables with pre-made side post type. I like the ones made by IW. I have their cables on a side mount 78 in my Impala. They make custom lengths. Excellent quality and thicker cable.

I can get pre-made #4 cable ones in lengths good for my needs in 4 gauge for around $8 a cable but want heavier gauge wire so will go with Innovative Wiring ones

Not a fan of AGM batteries. Going with a lead/acid 78

·
Registered
66 Posts
My local BJ's wholesale has a $10 discount on all Interstate batteries through April 10th. Just picked up a 78 side post for $79.99. A trial fit of a battery topper was excellent.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
My 69 always had side post battery factory coded Y77 albeit someone before me pulled the odd sized original cables used with it and replaced them with parts store normal side post sized cables and a new Delco freedom battery back in the early 80's. But I have always used a side post even though all the parts selectors tell you it's wrong for 69. ;)

When it got hard to find Delco's I switched to AutoZone's DuraLast series 78-DLG. $150.00 ballpark, But there are also great looking and performing Delco reproduction R89 available in the $300.00 range so more than twice the price of AutoZones but look factory Delco with all the modern maintenance free convenience.

Antique Auto Battery - R89S-Delco Battery

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/Script/R79_HC.html

https://www.camarocentral.com/R89_Delco_Factory_Style_Side_Post_Battery_p/bat-2.htm

Or use a 24 or 60 series and use a plastic topper https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/chevrolet/camaro/parts/t70782.html

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Walmart has a 78, made by Johnson Controls, for $49. Ironically the top post battery the car came with is a Walwart (Johnson Controls) battery which is 6 years old

I bought these AC Delco cables based on length and 2 gauge wire. The + cable has heat wrap for the portion that runs along engine block from starter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYTOBY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYTNII/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Just throwing this out but if the wrap is conductive, maybe pull it back or trim it back so it does not become electrically hot from it being in contact with the crimped on terminal end.

The top is how it looks from the link you provided and then how the heat wrap would be if it was off of the terminal end and a tad of the black insulation was showing.

Jim

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks SOA....the actual cable looks like pic #2. Heat wrap is about 2" away from eyelet

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts

Going to do the same with my first week build 06A Z. Top post is on it's way out, and have the side post cables ready for installation. Just need the battery...thinking a Delco unit would be fine.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Where do you guys attach power wires for cruise control, efi, stereo amps, etc... and keep the battery clean looking?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the new side post battery/cables in. The lengths I ordered turned out to be right for the stock frame battery cable clamps I used to secure + cable. Went with #2 vs #4 cable. I did bend the + eyelet on starter and core support connections to better clear anything

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Got the new side post battery/cables in. The lengths I ordered turned out to be right for the stock frame battery cable clamps I used to secure + cable. Went with #2 vs #4 cable. I did bend the + eyelet on starter and core support connections to better clear anything

What's the battery in your pic?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Where do you guys attach power wires for cruise control, efi, stereo amps, etc... and keep the battery clean looking?
When I had to add a main power wire to a side post battery, I would use these style adaptors:

Or I would use this style that are like a bolt threaded into another bolt:

On the above the shorter male threaded adaptor is probably designed for a single molded cable end while the longer ones reminds me of the setups for dual batteries and dual connections like in diesel applications.

Off of a side post adaptor, you can then run a wire to a fuse or circuit breaker and then to the device you are adding or one could run a short proper sized and routed wire to a fused distribution block to have it set up for something like a 20A draw for an audio amplifier, a 5A fuse for a cruise control, a 30A for a cooling fan relay, and so on.

Be aware though that if you start pulling a lot of excessive power off of the battery positive post, then at a point, the battery negative to chassis connection needs to be upgraded. Remember what you pull out also has to get back.

On a side post setup, do not try and "Cheap Out" by adding a ring terminal between the battery terminal face and the face of the cable end. The factory bolt may not be able to go in far enough to where one could pull threads out of the battery post. How the battery terminals and cable ends are designed is they are more sealed reducing the chances of corrosion and the added thickness of a ring terminal in the wrong spot now allows more of an exposed/open connection.

Jim

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
When I had to add a main power wire to a side post battery, I would use these style adaptors:

Or I would use this style that are like a bolt threaded into another bolt:

On the above the shorter male threaded adaptor is probably designed for a single molded cable end while the longer ones reminds me of the setups for dual batteries and dual connections like in diesel applications.

Off of a side post adaptor, you can then run a wire to a fuse or circuit breaker and then to the device you are adding or one could run a short proper sized and routed wire to a fused distribution block to have it set up for something like a 20A draw for an audio amplifier, a 5A fuse for a cruise control, a 30A for a cooling fan relay, and so on.

Be aware though that if you start pulling a lot of excessive power off of the battery positive post, then at a point, the battery negative to chassis connection needs to be upgraded. Remember what you pull out also has to get back.

On a side post setup, do not try and "Cheap Out" by adding a ring terminal between the battery terminal face and the face of the cable end. The factory bolt may not be able to go in far enough to where one could pull threads out of the battery post. How the battery terminals and cable ends are designed is they are more sealed reducing the chances of corrosion and the added thickness of a ring terminal in the wrong spot now allows more of an exposed/open connection.

Jim
Thank you Jim,

I ended up using the top posts for my car and the side posts for my stereo, cruise, and efi. I am trying to make it as clean as I possibly can. I bought the adapters you first posted above. I have been slowly cleaning up the entire car from when we originally built this car.

Dave

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
90% of batteries are made by Johnson Control, Autozone, Walmart, Optima etc. I have had very good luck with Walmart 78 batteries and they have a good warranty. All my Camaro have side post because I like the clean look. Interestingly, Johnson Control also makes the majority of OEM seats including Recaro.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Some time back, I had a conversation with an Interstate battery engineer. He gave me advice on the purchase of a battery. He stated to never buy a battery that is stated as a "4 year or more" battery. The average battery provides good service for 3 years on average, then in most cases, quickly begins its eventual death. He went on to say to buy a three year battery, stating it provides the best price overall for its service.

I personally have had batteries go well beyond 3 years, but I believe it's because I will put them on a battery tender if the vehicle sits unstarted for more that 2 to 3 days, plus I live in a climate where I don't see temperatures that can lead to the lower life of a batteries performance and service.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can buy battery cables, or make them, that have "accessory" lead. The one I got has 10 gauge wire but I am not running a heavy stereo, EFI. The 10 gauge wire I ran to the + block on the core support

I have seen cables with #4 accessory leads molded in them.

For additional power loads you can run a bulkhead mount power distribution block and run your add on power needs to it

You will need to up the output of your alternator if adding more heavy power loads components to the car

I would, and did, get #2 battery cables

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Walmart brand, made by Johnson Controls, $49

There is a Johnson Controls about 1/2 hour from my house. They do batteries there from what I understand. Never thought about checking them out. Hmmmmm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts