Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to paint my engine bay. The engine, trans, rad and all vitals are out. I will be using my HVLP gun. What primer should I use? My top coat will be in gloss black. I am leaning towards Dupont Imron. Any prep and info tips are appreciated. Is a clear coat needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I used imron on my 69's firewall and underside so far. Very chemical resistant paint. Last coat i put a flattening agent in it. If you want a gloss finish all dirt that gets in paint will be much more noticeable. I used Kirker brand black epoxy on mine so any chips aren't as noticeable. If costs don't matter PPG or DUPONT are good. You don't need a prime/filler unless you are filling in surface paint in which i would use a urethane 2k primer/filler over the epoxy prime and re coated with epoxy prime. See if your supplier can tint primer/filler toward's black. Use 280-320 grit on a DA where you can and hand sand with 600 or finer plus scuff pad hard to sand area's. Imrom clear will give you more gloss but unless you have a clean dust free booth the dirt will really stand out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts