Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lifetime Gold Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple for most, not for me.

I am putting in a rocker switch that is simply on/off with a button that has an LED. The switch is marked 1,2,3, 3 is brass with a +/- next to it. I understand the 1 and 2 but what does 3 get, positive or ground? I am assuming it's positive for the LED?

Any help would be appreciated, I am working on it right now.

Thanks as always...

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I would assume 1 & 2 are the switch part. Positive to 1 and 2 goes to your end device. Now you say 3 is brass +/-. Kinda confusing. What I would do is wire it to your device and check terminal 3 ( with the switch ON ) and see if you have any power on terminal 3. If it has no power with the switch on, then terminal 3 needs to be grounded for the light to work.

·
Lifetime Gold Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that was it!! Negative connection for the LED.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
My guess is 3 is your hot terminal, and since the switch could be used to either supply power or ground to the circuit it has the +/- marking on it.
Is it just a single pole switch, meaning two position (on or off) ? Not sure why it has three terminals if so. Generally the switch will be internally conected for an indicator light, but one of those 1,2 terminals might be for the led.
I'ts tough to say really without seeing it or testing it, do you have an ohm meter handy? thats the best way to test a switch. Can you post a picture?

:edit: nevermind I guess you have your answer :thumbsup:

·
Lifetime Gold Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sean, I do appreciate it.

Done for today, but I am sure I will be back for another question or two, on the next project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts