Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped the stock 327 cast iron intake and 2bbl rochester for a Performer and Quadraject setup on an original '67 327 block that I recently rebuilt.

After driving it a bit (maybe 50 miles), I developed a severe intake backfire popping noise, complete with shutter in the gas pedal from the butterflies. Things I have checked and the results:

-Verified timing to 8-10 BDTC with vac advance off.
-Verified vac line connected to ported vac, not straight vac.
-Engine runs, but makes an individual pop backfire to intake, my guess is just one cylinder is popping.
-Intake backfire = too lean, right?
-Used carb cleaner to wet around gaskets without much luck in sealing a gap.
-Went ahead and changed the intake gaskets to Mr. Gasket ultimate sealing type with raised port edges and all.
-Sealed all bolts, intake valley with RTV
-Carb idles at ~800rpm in drive
-Compression checked all cylinders - all within 5-10 psi of each other
-Checked distributor again to verify not 180 off, but engine runs fine with all other cylinders
-Verified correct plug wires to corresponding cylinders.

etc, etc.

In reading through previous threads, maybe I have the valve rockers on too tight . . .

What else might I check?

Thanks,

Kevin
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I have a 327 with 10:1 compression, it pops like that if I use low octane fuel. Maybe the gas stations in your area have switched to their winter fuel and it is causing your problem. Try a tank of Premium fuel and see what happens. I've had good luck with Amoco "Gold" fuel.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Pull the rocker covers off and start the engine. Watch to see if some of the rockers arent moving as much as the others. Flat camshafts cause that kind of popping back through the intake manifold and was quite common in older Chevrolet engines.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Yeah, cam lobes can wear down and cause strange things. This kinda sounds like a broken valve spring to me.

Make sure and triple-check the basics like firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and valve adjustment too. Cracked cap, as mentioned, could do it. So could plug wires shorting out, move the wires around so that none are touching.

Does it make the noise at a fast idle? If so, disconnect one plug wire at a time and you should be able to locate the bad cylinder, then you can focus in on that one...........

·
Registered
335 Posts
You could have a carbon track in your distributor cap. You might not even see it and the cap does not need to be cracked for this to happen. The track will conduct spark from one post to another nearby. The symptoms will be worse as you open the throttle and load the engine. Swap in a new cap and see if that solves the problem. Inspection may not show anything without a magnifier. It sounds like you're getting spark where it doesn't belong.

The other suggestions here make perfect sense also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've seen this type of thing before. It is probably in the valvetrain. A lobe "wiped out", or a bent push rod. Get those valve covers off, and have a look. Check for excessive valve lash, and idle the car while looking at the rockers, one may not be moving as much as the others. Also inspect all of the valve springs very carefully, one may be broken. I believe the latter was mentioned earlier. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
you mention a tight rocker, did you adjust them before this occurred? if so, thats the first thing i'd look at. it definately sounds like valvetrain, i.e. a missadjusted valve, or a broken spring, or a wiped cam lobe.
good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
By some chance,, could one of the intake bolts being too long, tighten down on push rod and kept excessive pressure on lobe? It has happened. Popping thru intake indicates and intake valve not sealing for what ever mentioned reason.. Was the lobe on intake side?

·
Registered
891 Posts
seen the same thing from the idle air bleeds in a holley having a bit of dirt in them,a few hard jabs of the throttle at 3500 rpm while driving cured that one with a loud pop!lol!don't remember where the air bleeds are on a q-jet?
Eric B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts