Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my '68s single exhaust to a dual. For the dual hangers, do all the mounting holes already exist or am I going to have to put new holes in my floor pans? I've looked through the factory assembly manual but the best illustration (pg. 360) doesn't show into which part of the car the hangers are going--it looks like the floor pans.

I got an estimate ($325 parts & labor) from a local shop for duals with aluminized pipe and turbo mufflers--is this reasonable? The tech said he would probably have to mount additional hangers from the floorboards--something I'd like to avoid.

I'd like your recommendations.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As far as the hangers are concerned there are not holes already. Mine are located under the back seat for my Flowmaster system.

The $325 sounds reasonable. Not an exhaust guy so not sure if there is another way to mount the hangers, dont think so though.

Hope that helps. Sean

·
20,008 Posts
only stock hangers i used were the one over the axel for the stock single muffler, other two for the tailpipes i had to use self tappers into the inner rear quarter,and be sure to use rubber isolators.

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I believe there are 2 pair of holes for exhaust hangers above the rear axle. On single exhaust cars the LH holes may not have weld nuts. There should be 2 holes in the LH frame rail for a tail pipe hanger. For dual exhaust the factory installed Rivnuts in these holes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would OEM-style dual exhaust hangers support turbo-style mufflers in the stock resonator locations? The tech didn't think they would without additional hangers. Are turbo mufflers really that much heavier than the stock resonators?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I noticed that on my '68 on the drivers side above the rear axle, there is a threaded nut inside the frame rail, facing down (looks like 5/16"). Is this indicative of factory dual exhaust (SS) ? I have a pic of this, but no way to post it. Thanks, Ron.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Factory 67-68 dual exhaust cars used 5/16-18 Rivnuts for the front RH bracket and 1/4-20 Rivnuts for the LH tailpipe bracket. Single exhaust cars have small pilot holes in these locations making it easy to mount dual exhaust hangers correctly. Just drill out the holes, install the Rivnuts, and bolt on the dual exhaust hangers. 1967 Camaro Exhaust Hangers

·
Registered
503 Posts
Farm Boy,

Thanks for the reply ! The threaded nut that I have a question about is located right near the rear shock. After reading what William said in this post, I was wondering is if this nut meant that my car was a factory dual exhaust car. My car had been rear ended hard sometime before I got it, and there were metal plates welded over the rear frame rails where the riv nuts could have been. I can e-mail you a pic of the nut that I'm talking about if you'd like; I don't have any way of posting it. Thanks, Ron.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I believe there are 2 pair of holes for exhaust hangers above the rear axle. On single exhaust cars the LH holes may not have weld nuts. There should be 2 holes in the LH frame rail for a tail pipe hanger. For dual exhaust the factory installed Rivnuts in these holes.
Do you know if single exhaust 69 Camaros had pilot holes where the dual exhaust plate attaches on the outer left frame rail?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Do you know if single exhaust 69 Camaros had pilot holes where the dual exhaust plate attaches on the outer left frame rail?
Yes the holes are there but not the plate that the factory used. The holes are there and threaded in front of the axle too.

Jeff

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
threaded holes in front of the shock is for the rubber axle bumper.

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Are these brackets shown still available, and do they bolt up just behind the muffler. Also will they align properly if using a Flowmaster 40 system?

Thanks
RJ

·
Registered
416 Posts
Don't know if the hangers are available (probably repops), but the holes shown are the hangers' mountings for the transverse muffler. They are located in the trunk pan reinforcement channel that runs between the shock mounts. My '67 has the same tapped mounting plate and rivnuts at the other side at this location, but the reinforcement is slightly different (no relief dimples at the reinforcement for exhaust clearance). Hope this clears it up for you. I can send a pic of the original pan (which I have removed) showing the details - if you need it.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts