Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask if anyone else was experiencing very slow speeds entering into the different forums. Perhaps its the way my computer is routed but it takes forever for the heavier forums to load and I'm on a cable modem.

Dave

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
I've had a few complaints about the forum load speeds in the past week. I don't know of any issues on the server or the network that it's hosted on. All seems to be fine.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It seems to happen during high traffic times, 4:30 up to 8:00 or so. I just give up and log on later at night.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
269 Posts
I usually go on between 11 pm and 4 am and dont have any problems. Have noticed slower speeds around 4:30 to 5:30 am once in a while though.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
let's see if there is any difference now. I spotted a backup routine consuming a lot of processor time. I inquired and the tech changed it to a totally new system and advised that the former routine will no longer be active.
hey, it's something

Also, we have been 'up' for 212 days straight so perhaps we need to give the server a good 'ol reboot job - although all appears ok to me.

Al

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Far bigger problem! Every tuesday a search engine hits our server... HARD. today they dinged us for a huge hunk of bandwidth.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
In the past 24 hours, your rate of bandwidth usage exceeded 131781. If this rate continues for the remainder of the month, your billable rate would be about 131781 bytes per second, which is equivalent to a monthly rate of approximately 318 gigabytes per month.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there is no way in a rat's a** we can pay that kind of bill. I also found out that everyday since Sept 10 (does not appear to be any weekends) we are getting clobbered for requests - thousands in a fairly short period of time - obviously a high speed connection. Very intermittent and not that easy to spot on a daily basis.

IF this may apply to you, please either ease up or risk being removed. We simply can't afford whomever is doing this. BIG job to track down as the log files are huge and I"m not very proficient, but will be trying.

We are tickling our monthly limit now and really can't afford the next level.

Thanks for making me go in and do some serious digging.
Al

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew something was wrong. Al, let us know what you find.

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Al,

If your gonna charge a user fee,,I hope its in canadian dollars or a case of Kokanee Beer.

Thanks for extra effort
rjrock

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Well, the puzzle comes together:
Starting sept 10th traffic went way up.
High speed connections getting lots of files.

duh! university is back in! Guys are taking advantage of the high speed pipes to get their camaro fix. This is actually bogging things down - also explains why it starts in the late afternoon.

U of Missouri and wm.edu - please go easy guys, don't download tons of files for later reading.

Other big users - rural-tel lenora KS, shaw cable (winnipeg) Nipr.mil and cable out of dallas.

I don't know what is being downloaded from the non university sites at this time, if it's the ad pages, the access will be denied.

Al

·
Registered
168 Posts
Are you sure the extra load from Dallas isn't just all us North Texas guys reading the boards?
Seriously, I read the boards everyday, but I don't download anything to my machine that I know of. Just browsing doesn't put a big load on the server, does it?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Al, I don't know what you did but the speed is back! No more waiting trying to get into the forums. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke too soon. At 7:00 PM EST, the site was blazing fast. Now at 10:00 EST, its really, really, really....s l o w . . .

Dave

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
Right now, I'm showing clear sailing from:
Salt Lake
San Diego
Vancouver
Toronto
Austin
new york
to camaros.net in Ft Lauderdale.

those are just some traces I tried. Will keep looking though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts