Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, guys, looking to get some camaro six cylinder information from this board. eg, what size engines came in which years, torque, hp, comp ratio specs, all the fun stuff you can get from a chilton's manual. i already have a good amount of info on my page (http://cc.owu.edu/~dcstrohl/sixinfo.html) and am just looking to complete/confirm it. i'm also looking for anybody who has bucked the system and built a stright six for their camaro. any help would be appreciated.
dan

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You basically answered your own questions, look in a Chiltons or better yet into a factory manual.

I personally have never re-built a 6 cyl for a Camaro, but an engine is an engine, be it a 6 or 8. And I dont know if you would be bucking the system by rebuilding a 6 cyl, seeings that they came from the factory that way.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thing is, i've had a hard time finding chilton's for early camaros. figured someone on this board would have one and might even be able to thumb through it and rattle that info off for me.
and i believe it is bucking the system to build a six when 95 percent of the muscle car enthusiasts i've talked to recommend swapping the six for a v8. try finding a straight six camaro that hasnt been ripped apart and stuffed with a big block.
and just to stem the tide of certain types of posts, yes, i recognize all the practical benefits to swapping, but i also appreciate something different.
thanks,
dan

G

·
Advanced Auto Parts can get you that Chiltons book. I'd try ebay first.

As for the 6-Cyl??? Go for it - I think its neat to see any old car done back to looking original. Thats what I'm trying to do with my 68 (Thanks for the inspiration McCorrey!!)

Good luck with it and Go BlueJackets!

------------------
My 68 RS Conv. 1
My 68 RS Conv. 2

·
11,623 Posts
No7a, I have a 1971 version of the Motor's Automotive guide. It has a LOT of specs for every engine type. Even lists codes and specs for distributors, starters, alts, etc. What exactly are you looking for? I might be able to fax you some pages. Sorry, no digital camara though. Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kevin-
sounds like that book might have a lot of the info i'm looking for. besides filling in the 1967 str6 info houndog72 didnt have, the main piece of info i'm looking for concerns a hipo version of the 230 in 1964. it was supposed to come with a different camshaft that bumped hp up to 155. could you confirm that?
feel free to email me about it.
thanks,
dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have heard of mercruiser intakes. they also installed several other nice parts on these engines, like taller valve covers and hipo camshafts. sad part is, i'm way inland, so finding boat parts, especially old boat parts, is tough. any ideas of where i can locate mercruiser parts?
dan

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey No7a,
There use to be a company called Clifford Research,6=8.They have alum intakes,w/ multi carbs,or single. They have cams,headers, and other stuff.

Years ago I built a 250-6 and had a lot of fun with it.

There is some length to this story but you asked for it.

I found that the compression length or wris pin location of a 327 piston was the same, so I had the block bored into the water jackets, and sleeved it to a 4 inch bore.

The cyl head needs helped also. Not only did I port and polish, but the bolt boss in each of the three intake runners blocks progress.I cut the boss out,slightly counter bore the hole at the bottom for flat surface, then get the proper length 1/2 inch Allen head bolt to replace the head bolt.At the top of the runner drill the hole big enough to tap 1/2 inch pipe, so you can get a allen head socket in to torque those head bolts,and plug them when finished.

I used the 327 pistons w/ the .100 dome or 11:1 in 327 W/ 64cc chamber. I don't remember the chamber size on the 250 head but know it is much smaller than 64cc.

I used 2-4's on this engine,early Corvette Carter WCFB'S.Needless to say this was to much carb for it but it ran low 13's in a 2door 56 Chev, at it's full weight as a driver,and stock stall TH400.

I did this in the late 69 and still have this engine,intake,headers in storage.

Now I have dated myself,o-well so be it,
Larry

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you want REAL performance give Sissel Automotive a call at 818-960-1090 in Baldwin park in Ca. They have everything including Aluminum Heads and blocks! Sissel along with his partner Duggan (Duggan & Sissel) have owned about every six banger record since the early sixties. They also do complete engine rebuilding and head porting. And for you Small blockers, they have some WILD heads and inductions.

------------------
Fan of anything that is interesting and moves human beings.
1965 Buick Gran Sport Convertible
1965 Buick Skylark H/T
1948 Chevy PU with 401 Buick

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just picked up a copy of the "Camaro Restoration Handbook" by Currao/Sessions. It says the I6 ran through '79. In '80 2 V6s were offered - a 231 Buick in California, and the 229 Chevy elsewhere. Again confirmed that the last 230s were installed in '69 (250s installed '67-'79).

------------------
Matt
http://camarotech1.com
Camaro Tech 1st Generation

·
Registered
567 Posts
no7a - My father is a marine mechanic. Lots of parts laying around. I will check to what Merc 6 stuff he has.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95

·
11,623 Posts
No7a, sorry about getting back so late, had to dig up some books. I seem to have a hole in my documentation, but I did get this info that you are looking for.

From Chilton's 1959 version:

54' Corvette 6-235 [email protected] [email protected] 8.0:1 solid lifters

55' Corvette 6-235 [email protected] [email protected] 8.0:1 solid lifters

THE HOLE

From Chilton's 64-81 midsize
64' 6-230 [email protected] [email protected] 8.5:1 1 bbl

From Motors Auto Manual 1971

65' thru 67'
6-194 [email protected] [email protected] 8.5:1 1bbl
6-230 [email protected] [email protected] 8.5:1 1 bbl

Plus for 67' (all 3 6-cyls available in 67')
6-250 [email protected] [email protected] 8.5:1 1 bbl

Hope this helps. I love the way the 250's max torque is at 1600 rpm! Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 09-12-2000).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool. thanks for sharing your info and stories guys. i hope more of you who own these engines realize what a cool little piece of history you own and decide to build it or give it a good home rather than throw it out on the doorstep like so many other people have done in the past. and i'm always open to giving or receiving more information about these engines if you have or want it.
dan http://cc.owu.edu/~dcstrohl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts