Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up this morning at 5:15 and let the dog out as usual. Heard her barking, she hardly ever barks, so I called her in. She came into the kitchen and much to my surprise, she obviously got skunked. Now I've gotten a whiff of skunk smell many times in my life, but never up close and personal to the actual liquid of the spray. This is the most stringent nasty smell, I was actually gaging. It is so strong, it doesn't even smell like skunk yet. She got it in the face as she was shaking her head and blinking her eyes. She was in the house for less than one minute and touched nothing in the house before I tied her outside. The house is overpowering. I sprayed Lysol and lit scented candles. I woke up my wife and told her what had happened. I have to leave for work at 6:00. I went upstairs and took a shower, got dressed and left. I'm sitting in my office now and all I can smell is skunk. I only touched her for a second just to tie her up, and then took a shower.

My wife was bathing the dog outside when I left. The dog stinks, the house stinks, I stink, my wife stinks. Now I'm not talking a slight skunk smell, this is overpowering and makes you gag.

I've heard of the tales of tomato juice, women's douch, etc etc. Does anyone have any sure fire remedies?? Am I going to have the house smelling for months no matter what I do?? The dog touched nothing in the house, just walked in and I tied her outside. Please help!! :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I am laughing with you ,even though you aren't probley laughing ,to funny ,I wish the best for you and your family ,hope you get one of our bro's or sis's to help with some remedies....Happy Motoring

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Call animal control and ask them. Bring some flowers (nice smelly type) home to the wife, and thank her for undertaking that chore. Good woman.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Steve, I owned a pet shop for many years. The best thing we ever found for skunk smell is called Odor Mute comes in a pink box and is a powder you mix with water . It doesn't stain and can be used in the washing machine for your clothes as well. Put a clothes pin on your nose and bathe the dog in it. :D

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
While talking about thiols in organic chemistry today my prof said that the thiol component in skunk spray is what makes it so nasty. He said that all you have to do to get rid of the smell is change the molecule. Sooo theoretically hydrogen pyroxide could work to get rid of the smell! Might want to give it a shot. If it works let me know because our area is INFESTED with skunks.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help so far. I heard from someone at work that there is an enzime that breaks down the oil and can be bought at pet stores. (maybe this is what Mike B was talking about) I just called my wife and she's off to the pet store. Hope she can find it and it works!! :hurray:

·
Registered
827 Posts
tomato juice is the cure. get a couple cans wash dog with it, wash your hair also. something about the acid in tomatos? of course wash the the tomato juice out after and shampoo as needed. i do not no why it work but it does.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
tomato juice works for a friend of mine who's yellow lab always went after a skunk, never learned a lesson. Wash the pooch in it liberally, and it wont hurt some laundry like jeans etc but in smaller portion. something about the acid in the tomato that helps break down those stink enzymes.
Feel for ya but I agree about bring the Mrs. some flowers and hang some of those pine tree scent things around the house. :)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just talked to my wife, she bought something at the pet store and treated the dog. She said the dog still smells a little, but it's much better. Now the house smells worse than the dog. :mad: :sad:

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Mix 1 qt peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent. This will neutralize the oils in the skunk spray. I've treated cat pee soaked apartments, skunked dogs, etc. May take more than one treatment. I use one of those large(r) spray bottles.

Here's some reading, too:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/skunks.html

I found this one night around 2:00 AM doing a google search when our dogs got sprayed. Had the stuff in the house to mix up.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
BAKING SODA!!!!!!

Call her and have her go buy LOTS of baking soda.

Wash your hands with it. Sprinkle it on the floor anyplace the dog walked in the house, and just leave it there for awhile (I don't hold much hope for the house.)

Make a paste of baking soda and water, and work it onto the dog. The whole dog. Let it sit on him/her for a while, rinse it off, repeat as required.

At our old house, my dog got skunked 3 times, we've tried everything, baking soda is the only thing that worked.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would it be too obvious to call and tell her that I'm working on a special project at work which has to be done by tomorrow, will probably have to work all night and I can't make it home??

·
Registered
662 Posts
just drink a beer a laugh about it! I saw a "Billy Mays" commercial on something to zero out all bad smeel. actually the stand behind it, so IT MUST BE TRUE, right? I think it is called....0.....see if you can find it on line....might take awhile though, hence the beer

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I feel for you, I run over a skunk with my 34 ford coupe, and it had to sit ouside of the garage in the weather for weeks. I brought it to the car wash, and layed underneath as my wife fed quarters for about a hour. Once that crap hits hot exhaust, weeeewhhhhheee! Good luck, Mike

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
OK, I'll tell my 3rd skunk story. It was early one weekday morning when I let Ben out for his morning business. A lil while later I heard him barking, a weird bark. I came out the front door (in my robe, and with a cast on my leg, that's another story...) He was over by the creek that ran past our house, barking like mad at something.
So I hobble down the walk, and got nearly to the sidewalk and across the driveway when the "kitty with a white stripe" comes out of the woods, heading straight at me, Ben barking at his heels.
I do an aboutface, and head for the front door, robe flapping in the wind, hobbling as fast as that damned cast will let me. The skunk is 3 steps behind me, Ben 3 more behind the skunk.
I make it to the porch, and get in and get the screen door closed. Before I could get the solid door closed, Ben comes up behind the skunk, and the skunk lets him have it right between the eyes!

I slam the door. And go wake up the wife. She's the expert with such things...

We go out the back and around, and the poor dog is sitting on the proch, looking VERY VERY sad. The "kitty with the white stripe" is no where to be seen.

So we get Ben around back and get out the hose and the baking soda and fix the dog. It took about 4 days with all the doors and windows open to fix the house.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune, I always heard tomato juice, but without any hard-proof

JimM,
That made for a good laugh. What a great sight that must have been, you could have put it on Youtube and been famous (had there been someone to record the robed-hobbling-casted-man being chased down by a skunk and his own dog.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Mix 1 qt peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent. This will neutralize the oils in the skunk spray. I've treated cat pee soaked apartments, skunked dogs, etc. May take more than one treatment. I use one of those large(r) spray bottles.

Here's some reading, too:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/skunks.html

I found this one night around 2:00 AM doing a google search when our dogs got sprayed. Had the stuff in the house to mix up.
I agree with Rick, I ran over a skunk one morning and my truck was nailed with the smell, used this recipe and it worked. I also had a skunk under my redwook deck and it had sprayed in the backyard....The smell was terrible...:eek: Here is another link that I refered too....It works! Good Luck :)
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts