Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one day this past summer, i turned on my wipers, and they worked so slow, i thought i would get old and die before they returned to there park position. they worked so slow, i thought they werent working at all, until a 1/2 hour later, when they were half way up my windshield. i dumped a little cofee on the linkage, and they didn't speed up any. and thats the truth, well almost. any ideas why they work so slow? thanks for a great site here.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Check to see that you have proper voltage to the motor and also a good ground. Most wiper motors had a jumper going to one of the mounting studs. To check for a good ground, touch a wire from a clean spot on the motor to the negative battery teminal. If it speeds up then check the wiper motor to mounting bolt connection and correct that or add a new ground connection. I'm sure the older Camaro wipers wired the same as my 74 Nova and one wire on the motor was an ignition 12V and the others were switched grounds that went to the dash switch for the different speeds. It could also be a bad wiper switch or the ground for that.
Jim

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
What year car 67-68 or 69?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I agree with Jim. Check the voltage at the wiper motor. There is probably a little corrosion on the wiper motor and firewall conectors in addition to the fuse and switch. Those little bits of corrosion add up to a resistance in the circuit. Combine that with 30 years of grease inside that is probably getting dried up and you'll have slow wipers. So it's probably a combination of things. A voltage check is a good first step.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
are your headlights a little dim aswell?
check the horn relay wires for corrosion.
sounds silly but the main electrical bus is attached to it and if there is corrosion on the connections then wipers and other electrical components will not function properly.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/brighter-headlights.shtml
read through that itll explain what im telling you.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
First thing to check is that the wiper switch is well grounded to the dash. Common problem on 67-68.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts