Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to figure out steering ratio? When driving my 67rs/ss it’s like driving a boat, over steer, under steer it’s tiring to say the least. Any suggestions on a fix would be appreciated.

·
10,160 Posts
#1 thing to do is adjust lash on that steering box. Loosen the Jam nut on the Allen bolt, top of the box, then screw the Allen down till you feel resistance & tighten jam nut. Just take up the lash, don't add pre-load other than a tiny amount or the steering will get sticky and youll zig-zag down the road.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
The entire suspension system should be evaluated. If a steering box is toast, adjusting the steering box is a panacea if the internals are shot. Sounds as if the OP may be new to the hobby. Many who buy these cars have not been driving them daily for decades, and expect them to handle like new cars. Find a local shop who has knowledge of classics.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Usually ratio is thought of as lock to lock turns. Then there's variable ratio that's more responsive at certain points. Regardless, it isn't R&P and doesn't have the same feel as a new vehicle. People swap later boxes and pump bits to get more feel.
The box has no impact on over/understeer--that's suspension stuff. If the steering is tiring, maybe there's no power steering, or it isn't working.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Check/replace your steering coupler rag joint. Just did mine and it removed nearly all the slop in my steering. I couldn't tell just by looking at it installed but mine was torn at a bolt hole and flimsy. A new $9 dollar disc at the local auto parts store worked miracles for me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts