Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hurst shifter on my convertible is very sloppy. The throws are long and reverse is too far over to the left, the shifter is against the console. Will sending it off to be rebuilt fix this?

------------------
'69 RS SS L78 convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, SS wheels

·
Registered
797 Posts
Chris,
The first thing that I would check is that the bolts that hold the shifter to the transmission have not come loose. If those check out I would replace the bushings at each end of the shift levers. You can get metal ones from most of your auto parts supply houses. If they do not have them in stock they can order them for you. I would then adjust the throw stops.. If after all of this you still have problems (which I doubt you will) you may elect to send the shifter off for refurbishment.. You can also tear it apart yourself if you are brave and look at how Hurst put shims in between the shift arms. You can fabricate new shims to go between the shift arms and this will take all the slop out of it for sure.. It is easier to make these changes if you have a transmission out of the car that you can bolt the shifter to to check and make sure that it functions correctly before you go through the hassle of bolting it back in.. Good luck with your project. The Hurst shifters are really a quality piece..

·
Registered
797 Posts
Chris,
One thing that I forgot..When you replace the shift lever bushings with the new ones, check to see if they have any free play at all. If they do find washers that you can put on the end of the lever where it passes through the bushing to take up the rest of the slack. This will make a difference..

·
Registered
598 Posts
GO 69 has the appropriate suggestions about the replacing the bushings and tightening down the two shifter-to-mounting plate bolts.
If you are handy at metal fabrication you could make shorter shift lever arms (3)which would make your front and back motion shorter. The saginaw lever arms are about 1/4" longer than the muncie arms. When I converted to the muncie arms my throw decreased.
The side to side motion is a different story.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts