Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my 69 about once or twice a week, had new exhaust installed last week, I now have sluggish starting, I first thought I needed a heat sheild on the starter, but it does this in the morning when the car is cold... It cranks a few times then starts every time, I also noticed the headlights brighten up as I increase RPMs, but after I drive a while it doesn't do it any more,(nice and bright) Do you think I need to run the car more, to keep the battery fresh (it's a new Delco) or do I need to recheck the timing, because of the new freeflowing exhaust? Any ideas would be helpful. I had my charging system checked when I got the new battery and after the new crate 350 was in...no problems. whats up? thanks Mike

·
Super Moderator
32,526 Posts
I would do the following:

1. Clean battery cables, both ends. Cable size to be bigger than #4 AWG.
2. Observe the cranking amps the starter is using with an inductive ammeter. Book suggests Locked rotor test Not Recommended. but, I believe cranking shouldn't be over 125 amps.
3. With a new battery, shouldn't have this problem, but, you might disconnect the battery at shutdown, then connect next time just to see if starting event is different.
4. If Step 3 proves to be a good battery, then I suspect a drain on the battery. Use a digital multimeter as a current meter and monitor current draw. Disconnect fuses, circuits one at a time to troubleshoot.

Good start here, keep us informed.....

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Everett, I got home tonight, got in the cold Camaro, pumped the gas once and turned the key, started right up no problem, I think I'll check for the current draw on the Battery if it keeps happening. thanks again... Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts