Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my brother has my old 327 in his Chevy II and it's had overheating issues ever since he took possesion. It's a stock 327 with camel hump heads w/64cc chambers. He has comp xe268 cam and stock ram horn exhaust manifolds. He's using my old 3-row radiator. He also has a new aluminum high-flow mechanical water pump and a high-flow 180 t-stat. He was using small scirroco electric fans then swapped that out for a single 16" electric fan with shroud. His problems didn't stop; his engine would just keep getting hotter and hotter until he would shut it off at 235. It didn't matter if it was idling or driving in stop and go, or highway, it would still keep climbing! He was thinking it was a warped head or something along those lines because I wasn't necessarily "nice" to that engine. He ended up scoring a stout 350 from our buddy for $500. It was a 4-bolt 350 bored .040 with my old World Sportman II heads that were severely ported and polished. These new heads also have 64cc chambers. He got a similar cam as in the 327 except that he went with a solid flat tappet this time. He didn't change anything with the cooling system expect for the t-stat, still a high-flow 180 degree unit. Well, he was breaking the cam in, when the temp started rising again. He shut it off at 235. After two days, he finally got the cam broken in. He was going to get an aluminum radiator but I told him to hold on that; it was my old radiator and I only used it for about a year on my 383 that had 420 horses, it should be fine for his 350, I thought. I told him to flush the radiator to make sure there wasn't anything in it. When he was pulling the radiator, he noticed that the lower radiator hose had a small inside diameter. He showed it to me and sure enough, it was only about 1 inch across:sad: It was the "universal" coolant hose kits that you can get from Jeg's or Summit. The ones that are all corrugated and you can bend any way you want. Well, today he replaced those with the stock pre-bent rubber hoses and we ran the engine for 40 min. and the temp never went over 190:hurray: I hope this helps someone, because this thing kicked our a** for a long time. I searched for issues like this but nobody would ever follow up when and "if" they found the culprit. :beers:

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
O wow thanks for posting!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's fu**ed up Harry! If people don't give enough info, you guys get all over them. If they do, you give them sh*t? I'm trying to be helpful but I guess you can't make everyone happy!

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Tony,
You're right you have to be detailed in your description or it could be misleading. Thanks for sharing. I have used those hose kits several times and never had an issue. Did he have a really tight bend or was it dented/crushed?

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
damn I hope you dont talk as much as you type?

I don't think this comment was helpful or needed at all. You didn't have to read it if it was too long for you. This is one of the few times I have seen a Team Camaro do something like this.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
That's a very interesting and informative story!.....Sorry you had to go through all that misery and I'm glad you discovered the problem and fixed it!....Thanks for the heads up man!:thumbsup:

·
Retired
16,014 Posts
Great post Tony, thanks. dawg was out of line there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm, been cruising this forum for not so long, and must say that i am surprised how friendly people are to each other. In Denmark where I come from we have 1 (one) mayor website for fans of american cars ( only 5 mill inhabitants in my country, around 5000 american cars ), and the site has a forum, just like this site, but almost every thread is ruined by people naggin, calling names, fighting and yadda yadda. so i find it quite surprising that the general tone in here is so good. except for this thread. thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hmm, been cruising this forum for not so long, and must say that i am surprised how friendly people are to each other. In Denmark where I come from we have 1 (one) mayor website for fans of american cars ( only 5 mill inhabitants in my country, around 5000 american cars ), and the site has a forum, just like this site, but almost every thread is ruined by people naggin, calling names, fighting and yadda yadda. so i find it quite surprising that the general tone in here is so good. except for this thread. thumbs up.
Glad you're here from so far away,and yes without a doubt this is the best site on the web for content and help. The moderators do a great job of eliminating the problems and actually removing people's ability to get on the site if they cause to much trouble...so enjoy

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is indeed a good site, I wish the moderators on my site here in Denmark did their job as well as the ones in here. Dont have a camaro, but help friends that have. Still a chevy man though!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Royce, it didn't have a tight bend(about 45 degree bend) and it didn't have any dents/kinks. I'm just glad it's fixed. Now onto MY car!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts