Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law is putting a big block in his '67 RS and would like some help with the heater box please. He was sold a small adapter plate to relocate the heater core inlet and outlet pipes to the big block location on the box, but he is not sure what else is necessary. Has anyone else done this that can provide some advice? What covers the small block outlet holes? Are the small block and big block boxes the same other than the location of the holes for the pipes? Thanks in advance for any help provided :beers:

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
My brother-in-law is putting a big block in his '67 RS and would like some help with the heater box please. He was sold a small adapter plate to relocate the heater core inlet and outlet pipes to the big block location on the box, but he is not sure what else is necessary. Has anyone else done this that can provide some advice? What covers the small block outlet holes?
A piece of tin.

Are the small block and big block boxes the same other than the location of the holes for the pipes?
Same dimmensions, but as noted the cores are different to clear the BBC heads.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So are you saying that the small block holes are not puched out on a big block car and he should have them patched over?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Thanks. So are you saying that the small block holes are not puched out on a big block car and he should have them patched over?
No on a BBC the holes exit the cover in the middle of the cover instead of the end. You will have to cut a new set of holes using the old as a template (transfer to cardboard) and then make a tin patch and pop rivet it in place with some sealing foam (like found in the auto-parts store to mount a topper on a pick-up truck). I will send you a PM with all of the parts required to convert the SBC powered car I over to a BBC clone (has old part numbers and pictures of the parts to show the difference).

Larger Dave

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
All 1st gens had the holes in the firewall; on factory big block cars, the line workers glued/sealed a thick piece of closed cell foam over the holes from the inside of the car. There are a number of threads here with photos of the foam in the holes and of the BB cover with the reinforcing plate. I'll search and post a link.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave and Eric...we really appreciate your help!!! :beers:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Mark, I did this conversion several years ago. here is what it takes.
Parts:
BB heater core (can order from parts house)
"adapter" from repro house, covers BB heater core tube holes
3/4 inch hole saw
tin snips
sealer for cover
heater box seals (?)

Remove the heater box from under the dash. This contains the heater core and inspect the seals in the box. Now is the time to replace them. Remove the blower box from the firewall (this involves removing or moving the pass. fender). While the heater box is sitting on a bench, make sure you have the box orientation correct. Mark the top and pass. side of the box so you don't get confused. Remove the SB heater core and install the BB core. There are two metal retainer clips that hold the core in place. One will fit the BB core with no modification, the other fits with slight modification. After the BB core is in place and you are sure of your heater box orientation, I used plastic drinking straws as guides to slip my blower box over the heater box studs and marked where to drill the 3/4 holes for the BB core tubes. After the holes are drilled, remove the small metal portion between them and smooth so no rough edges are present. Now the blower box should slip over the tubes. The adapter needs a foam seal that comes in a seal kit. Install the adapter and you are ready. The SB core holes are sealed with a foam seal in the kit.

Hope this helps. maybe I should have this "pinned". :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Codi...that's great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts