Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son looking to build a 350 with a dual carb tunnel ram for his 67, loves the look. Don't try and talk him out of it. Picked up a 350 30 over block and an 1182 crank. Picking up an edelbrock TR1Y tomorrow. Right now has a 10 bolt and a powerglide which will be upgraded eventually. Any input on heads,pistons,carbs,cam or anything else would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
712 Posts
For heads on a low buck 350 I’d go to the junk yard and pull as set off of a Vortec 350. Best iron head Chevy made for the SBC. Heck, you could just hang the entire engine out of you get a good deal, pull of the electronics and slap on his tunnel ram and a budget HEI distributor and roll. But if not, For rotating assemble, go to someplace like Summit and look for one of the affordable ones from Eagle or Scat. Summit also sells reasonable priced cams under their own brand and I’d look for something with around 268 degrees advertised duration and less than .480 lift with the Vortec head. Double check that lift figure. Some people make a cam just for that head. You may find a budget crate more from someplace like ATK is cheaper than building it yourself.

I’m with you son though. Tunnel rams are cool!

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
712 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. My buddy has a set of vortec heads for him but yes, I read the tunnel ram would not bolt up to them. Do you think the HEI will work? He was looking to go with a good set of GM cast iron heads.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Boy, does that bring back memories. Kudos to your son for wanting some old school cool!
Some 30 years ago my best friend bought an unfinished T bucket for cheap. Good parts but not finished or sorted out at all. Was a 350 small block, supposedly 10.25:1 CR, a Crower Monarch series cam, like a Comp 268 but wider lobe center line, dual quad TR1Y tunnel ram, turbo 350, 3000 stall, Ford rear end with something like 3.90 gears. The thing barely ran when he got it. He was the body and interior guy so I had to get it running.
New wires and plugs helped. It had a Mallory Unilite distributor. We kicked up the initial advance. I talked to the guys at our local speed shop, White’s Pit Stop, and they turned me on to a kit of springs and a plastic key to help set the centrifugal advance weights on the Mallory. Getting the ignition timing to match the cam helped a lot.
I’m thinking the tunnel ram had a pair of 390 Holleys on it because I had never even heard of them. We tied the vacuum secondary diaphragms together by drilling and tapping the caps for a small tube fitting, like 1/4-28, and ran a small hose between them. We ran the lightest springs Holley had. I seem to remember changing the power valves but can’t recall to what. Maybe 3.5’s. One of my other buddies’ uncle was a drag racer and he told us to change the accelerator pump to 50cc models and play with pump cams and squirters to cover up the hole when you stabbed the throttle.
Fortunately the alley behind my buddies house had been freshly paved the summer before. We could make ten or so runs on a Friday evening before the cops came and told us to knock it off. It took a lot of messing around but we got it to work pretty well. Of course, very light car, frame
rails and a glass tub, with some gear. Car was really sketchy, like driving a riding lawn mower with a hot small block in it. Still remember that vertical steering wheel. We finished it and made some good money. His goal was to build a Blazer so this was money towards that project.
I’m sure you can find a bunch of tuning info on the Web. The Web didn’t exist back in those days. You had to talk to people and do a lot of trial and error to make something work. We had a bunch of fun after work on Friday evenings making that thing run decent. My how things have changed. Good luck with your old school cool.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I don't think an HEI will fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All late model V-8 these days have tunnel rams on them...they are just laid over for hood clearance. You will have to use a std 23 degree head, I don't think Eddy made a tunnel with a Vortec bolt pattern. A set of Dart SHP 165 heads would work well with a hyd roller. The tunnel ram will give him great low to mid range power and make for a fun ride. This is a flat top 355 with Dart SHP and a hyd roller that is .510 lift. Dual plane intake pump gas. Good valve job on heads and that's about it.

Font Rectangle Paper Parallel Document

·
3,564 Posts
Just want to mention that you can redrill the Vortec heads for the traditional bolt pattern. I did a few sets when they first came out for the dirt track guys. They are not real thick so I was drilling and tapping them for 3/8 fine thread and using short studs instead of bolts. Never had a problem with them leaking.

My 67 Camaro drag car had a 302 with a tunnel ram and two 660 center squirters on it when I first bought it. Fun ride with a 4 speed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts