Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you look at 1st Gen Camaros restored back to original condition what are some of the small details, parts and pieces that you usually see missing or overlooked?

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
Read one of Chicks 68 Z28 restoration threads. Painstaking attention to detail.…

Don

Reactions: Bigfish45

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts

Don

·
Registered
1968, 327/210hp, saginaw 4 speed, no options
75 Posts
Your question can have many answers pending your options, especially if your using aftermarket replicas. Can be a lot of things... correct key shape, shift nob and boot, pattern of the dash pad, correct stickers in the glove box to door bumpers and dome lights. What drives me crazy are all the gage colors, dash lights and other items should have all the same color. Don't like it when everything has a different color, especially when everything is lit up. I'm also picky on the screws that hold down all the components. Some are hidden and some exposed, but I like to have all the screws heads matching in size and type. All depends how original you want to go and how serious you want to get. Defiantly read through all the posts that '68CamaroZ28' post. Lots of good stuff. much more serious than I am.

·
11,918 Posts
There are so many details that stand out, but it takes a practices eye to catch them all. They range from obvious wrong repro parts to small details.

I look through the AIM, AMK, and other parts books to make sure I have the correct fasteners with the correct bolt markings and size.

Other will grab any part and make it fit.

Just depends on your/mine level of craziness :) I was recently part of a thread that detailed the paint process and fasteners for 69 RS doors. Most would not even know how the doors should be painted, but if you know... :)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
1969 with cowl induction, rubber ring installed upside down and inside out, both at the same time. Watch the video Doesn't cost any moar to do it right.

·
Premium Member
15,076 Posts
When you look at 1st Gen Camaros restored back to original condition what are some of the small details, parts and pieces that you usually see missing or overlooked?
A very small detail that grabs a lot of attention is regular pop rivets on a VIN tag.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
8,241 Posts
Mainly fit & finish of repo parts bugs me the most. Granted, they were far from perfect originally, but some repo stuff really gives first gens a bad rap. Droopy fenders (mostly 69), huge, uneven fender gaps under the windshield molding, crooked (side view) rear bumpers on 67-8's, wrinkles in the seat upholstery, and cheap rally wheel caps/trim rings stand out like a sore thumb....just to name a few....

·
11,918 Posts
1969 with cowl induction, rubber ring installed upside down and inside out, both at the same time. Watch the video Doesn't cost any moar to do it right.

This has been going on for a LONG time :) I posted a how-to 13 years ago!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Little things I’m learning on ‘69s: RS added but not adding the headlight washer squirters. Z/28 stripes the wrong dimensions on a high-end paint job (shudder!). Headrests straight on mid to late ‘69s instead of bent (not a very expensive fix). Highly restored engine bay that ignores the booster and master cylinder. Valve covers on backwards. Only parts of style trim installed on interior or exterior. Brake pedal pad circular “button” installed on top of the horizontal chrome trim. White shift ball with shift pattern on the ball installed with console (which also shows the shift pattern). High end interior resto with worn yellow window crank knobs (from the factory should be clear). R59 battery toppers on all ‘69s (many were yellow-top which can be fixed with $5 of yellow brush-paint). A high-end car in California with new white license plates - the CA DMV allows registration of classic 6-digit black plates which are all over eBay (and they’re chronological so starting with X or Y, maybe earlier depending on month and year of manufacturer, although for some reason DMV doesn’t allow reg of Z plates). I’ll keep thinking ;-)

·
16,508 Posts
My peeve is new parts installed with old rusty or buggered up fasteners.

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Rear spoiler / deck lid stripes painted incorrectly. 🤮

Reactions: srode
1 - 20 of 30 Posts