Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on what the smallest size enclosed trailer a 69 camaro will fit in.
Is a 7x18 too small?

I'm in the very early stages of considering buying one. Don't plan on using it much and not on very long trips.I'm not worried about having room for extras just the car. Just something to protect it from all the crap coming from the road.

I want something small enough to pull with a 1/2 ton 4wd truck.

·
10,158 Posts
You really want a 102" wide trailer because you need as much width as possible to get out of the car. The door usually hits the wheel well box and greatly limits door opening. The extra width allows you to position the car slightly to the right and helps. A 22 foot box is pretty standard for box length, there are some 20 footers.

A camaro is just under 16' long, you need 6 to 8 inches clearance from the rear door, let's say a foot, so that's 17', then for the front you need enough room to get under the front of the car and have tie downs that run forward of the car to anchor points on the floor. You need 3 to 4 feet unobstructed space ahead of the car for this. That's 20' to 21' inside the box length. If you had a 17' long box, you'd have to cut holes in the front of the trailer and run the tie downs outside, plus you wouldn't be able to get in there to hook them up.

You might consider an open trailer with aluminum shielding for the front of the car, that's done a lot.

Try like heck to get a good height trailer, the ramp door will be longer which helps loading the car, beaver tail is a must. Some trailers have an extended beaver tail which is really nice, instead of just a couple of feet of beaver tail it's aprox 6 feet.

I realize you don't need the extra length, but for a guy racing out of his trailer, I'd say a 22' box is minimum and 24' ideal. 28' is luxury.
David

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
You should get a trailer with an electric winch. My race car is 84" wide so I just use the winch , and since it has no windows I just make the adjustments I need on the wheel from outside the car... easier than driving the car in the trailer.. plus easier on the car

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys think I could pull a 20ft enclosed trailer with my 1/2 ton 4wd chevy truck?

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Do you guys think I could pull a 20ft enclosed trailer with my 1/2 ton 4wd chevy truck?
If you do just make sure you have good electric brakes on the trailer with a good brake module in the car.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Yes, my father does. 20ft is definitely the smallest you could go to fit the car in. I trailer both my 67 Camaro and 69 Firebird in a 20ft enclosed during the winter at various times. The 69 just fits. The trailer also has the 2 tortion bars on the front you can put on if you choose for heaver loads. They seem to help a lot.

·
Registered
218 Posts
what motor in your 1/2 ton truck? I would guess a 24 foot enclosed trailer will weigh 2800 to 3200 lbs empty. add your 3200.lb car and you have less than 7000lbs loaded. should be no prob for a mid v8 1/2 ton truck. You will need a weight distributing hitch and as stated a good enerta sensitive brake control on the truck. A side mounted friction sway control would not hurt as well
I am a Haulmark dealer and unless you have an older 305 or a 6 cyl. you should be fine with this set up.
PM me if you have more questions I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what motor in your 1/2 ton truck? I would guess a 24 foot enclosed trailer will weigh 2800 to 3200 lbs empty. add your 3200.lb car and you have less than 7000lbs loaded. should be no prob for a mid v8 1/2 ton truck. You will need a weight distributing hitch and as stated a good enerta sensitive brake control on the truck. A side mounted friction sway control would not hurt as well
I am a Haulmark dealer and unless you have an older 305 or a 6 cyl. you should be fine with this set up.
PM me if you have more questions I'll be glad to help.
My truck is a 1995 4wd,ext cab, with a 350.

Do the V-nose trailers make much difference aerodynamically?

·
Registered
218 Posts
if your truck came with a hitch and tranny cooler then it should be rated for a minimum of 7200 lbs. your all set. A v will help with wind drag but shortens usefull interior space. the wind will travel over the cab and hit trailer high.
If you get one i would recomend a std. nose and watch where the bugs are hitting the front of the trailer. A small wind deflector on the roof of the truck can fix a wind to frontal area problem leaving you lots of room inside. Sooner or later you will be hauling somthing other than a car or maybe a car and parts or tools I.E. keep the space you take with you usefull.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Hey, I towed a 30' travel trailer at approx 7k+ lbs with my 2002 Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 5.3 motor from Michigan to Washington with no problems. Yes, a little slow on steep grades, but sacraficed speed for fuel economy. Used weight distributing hitch to keep it nice and level and the added electronic trailer brake control made stopping easy. An enclosed trailer with a first gen Camaro should handle just about the same with the noted package. Charlie 69 RS

·
10,158 Posts
I have a 22 ft Featherlight all aluminum (including frame) trailer. I can tow it with my Yukon SUV with an easy lift hitch, the kind with torsion bars. Unfortunately I have 900 lbs of tongue weight because I have a lot of tools in the very front. It would balance better with the car in the trailer backwards. With the car in forward, and all that tongue weight I can feel it when driving and it's not very secure feeling.

A half ton pickup with easy lift hitch would handle it if it's the long bed, the long wheelbase is very helpful to stability. If you drive in the mountains or at altitude power and brake capacity are more important concerns. On flat land and lower altitudes you can do well with a half ton.

Look in your owners manual for your towing capacity. Hopefully it is rated for close to 10,000 lbs with an equalized hitch.
David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts